Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Dec 5, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Feeding raw chicken liver to a little dog for the first time.
    I would appreciate any opinions on giving a piece of raw chicken liver to a dog who has digestion related issues? She is stable at the moment and on a special combined diet of home cooked plus top quality dog food - which I plan to keep her on, but I would like to try some raw food again now. I will also try and incorporate raw chicken necks into her diet soon. Also, do I need to rinse the blood off :eek:or is the blood that surrounds the chicken livers in the package safe? Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 5, 2009, 08:55 AM

violet, I don't see anything wrong with the liver but why chicken necks. Just make sure the liver is thoroughly chopped up very small. I don't think the blood in the package is harmful but you will be washing the liver off well anyway, so you won't be using the blood in the package.

Tick

Dec 5, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    violet, I dont see anything wrong with the liver but why chicken necks. Just make sure the liver is thoroughly chopped up very small. I dont think the blood in the package is harmful but you will be washing the liver off well anyway, so you wont be using the blood in the package.

tick
    Thank you for your opinion and suggestion on chopping up small - I did not think of that and it is a very important point. I am intending to give her chicken necks as I have received some opinions from others that they are a nice treat plus good for the teeth!:)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2009, 09:03 AM

I wouldn't worry about anything except bones.

Dogs can eat most raw food with no problem.

Some raw foods may cause worms.

Why the necks? They have bones and cartilage in them.
    Expert

Dec 5, 2009, 09:17 AM

I don't think chicken bones are any good for teeth, violet. Why not get your little dog some Dentibones for teeth.

Tick

Dec 5, 2009, 10:06 AM
    I dont think chicken bones are any good for teeth, violet. Why not get your little dog some Dentibones for teeth.

tick
    Thanks for your opinion... it's a long story... i.e. I have tried this particular one you suggested, and many many others - assorted products :( and she does not like them, (i.e. and often uses some as toys... throwing them up in the air etc... but not chewing on them!)... so as I wish to avoid dental surgery and as I am attempting to find SOMETHING that will help as a preventative, to keep her teeth clean, and as many have mentioned raw chicken neck bones (Pet information - dog information - cat information - Canada's pet information center for dogs cats and humans) - that is the reason why I wish to give them to my little dog!
    Expert

Dec 5, 2009, 12:15 PM

I buy soup bones for my dog and cook them in water. They are very hard and give a lot of pleasure because they always retain flavour.

Tick
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2009, 09:13 PM
    I buy soup bones for my dog and cook them in water. They are very hard and give a lot of pleasure because they always retain flavour.

tick
    I also used cooked beef bones:)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 10:02 PM

Cooked bones is a big no-no guys, no matter what animal they are from.
    Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    cooked bones is a big no-no guys, no matter what animal they are from.
    I buy, cut up leg bones from cows, normally called soup bones, or marrow bones. They are hard, pretty dense, cannot be swallowed whole. Taffy, a very large Walker Hound, has been enjoying these bones for most of her adult life. I would rather her chew these then raw hide bones, even large ones, she will eat at one sitting, so that is a no no for me. At 13 years old, she has super teeth and good gums, no decay. There is absolutely no way a piece can be chewed off one of these bones. At the most, scrapings.

However, chicken bones in any way shape or form are absolute no.

Tick
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 11:44 AM

Careful with bones, especially if you are trying to avoid dental visits. I have had dogs break teeth.

Only way to really avoid dental work is to brush their teeth about 2 times a day - especially the carnassials (big ones in the back) - INCLUDING the inside of them by the tongue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Opinions needed on feeding crushed chicken bones. [ 1 Answers ]

A senior - who does not have a computer, asked me to post this question for her. She wants to know opinions of the members on this site, if it is safe to take cooked chicken bones and crush them up very very well (so that there are absolutely no traces of splinters or anything dangerous at all! ),...

Opinions needed on feeding crushed chicken bones. [ 8 Answers ]

A senior - who does not have a computer, asked me to post this question for her. She wants to know opinions of the members on this site, if it is safe to take cooked chicken bones and crush them up very very well (so that there are absolutely no traces of splinters or anything dangerous at all! ),...

Feeding & time [ 2 Answers ]

How much food to give 6 mo old & every 4 hours?

Feeding time [ 2 Answers ]

Okay here is the deal. I love my wife so very very much. The problem is when I am trying to do something like feed our son, she has to come in and take over the situation. Today I had my son eating his lunch. He was saying he did not want to eat his hot dog. I told him for each piece of hot...

View more questions Search