Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wiseguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Need the law on insurance cost
    Is there a law that states mortgage co. can or can not charge you more for home insurance than what they say they have paid for it themselves if so what is the law code or MCR and what does it say about it.

If a mortgage co has made errors in your account and are now trying to cover it up to the point of taking your home away, but you have proof of what has happened, what can you do for all they have done to you what is the code or MCR for this in Michigan

Help I been taken by the bank
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 05:10 PM
    If you do not provide property and causality and liablitiy insurance as normally required under your mortgage they will get it, they will add on a service fee and since this is now a higher risk because when you don't provide it, and the mortgage company has to, it is now a higher risk coverage also.

They will file in court to have the mortgage in default and a foreclosure.
    In court you can present your evidnece that they are doing a fraud.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Why is the mortgage company providing the insurance? Why aren't you doing it yourself? Most mortgage contracts do require that the property be insured. If you don't do it, they will and pass along the cost as part of the escrow portion of the mortgage. If they do purchase insurance I doubt if they will tell you what they are paying for it, so I don't know how you know they are charging more. However, I don't think there are any laws against them doing a markup.

You can request an accounting of your account at any time. If it doesn't match your records, you can request an adjustment. But, as Chuck said, if you think you can prove malfeasance, then let them take you to court and present your proof.

However, unless this is a very small mortgage company, I would be surprised if there are truly irregularities. And if it's a bank, I would be even more skeptical since banks are regularly audited.

Why do you think you being taken?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 12, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy
    is there a law that states mortgage co. can or can not charge you more for home insurance than what they say they have paid for it themselves if so what is the law code or MCR and what does it say about it.

If a mortgage co has made errors in your account and are now trying to cover it up to the point of taking your home away, but you have proof of what has happened, what can you do for all they have done to you what is the code or MCR for this in michigan

Help I been taken by the bank
    The insurance your mortgage co has placed on the property is considered HIGH RISK since you apparently you have failed to insure it yourself... if you can't insure the property something must be wrong with YOUR credit so the carrier has to charge MORE because of your HIGH RISK.

I would bet that this situation is unique to you and is NOT something that is rampant in your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Insurance help [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone could help me with some answers. I have insurance threw work and I got into a bad accident I then lost my job and took cobra to keep up the insurance. Well since then I was told that the place I worked for is changing insurance and I would also have to. So I did and...

How does an Insurance Co. Look at this... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two family with one four bedroom apartment rented as a group home. In that there are three single men who each pay a monthly fee individually. One tenant, who recently moved in, was very badly injured in a fall over a year ago . As a result he has had two spinal fusion operations . He...

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search