Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RaineAndrews Posts: 32, Reputation: 8

Dec 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
    Unbiased answer about medicare?
    Maybe I don't understand the health care initiative, or maybe I don't understand medicare enough. But I need to know, why is medicare necessary in a nation with universal health care? Isn't it a waste to have two different organizations that overlap? I realize that universal health care isn't a reality in the United States, but the bill itself cuts medicare, shouldn't it dissolve it completely? I'm not interested in propaganda from the left or right, so if you want to discuss partisan views, please take it to members discussion. I am interested in learning something new about how these two are the same/different.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
    Which nation do you think has universal health care? Universal Health care is not on the agenda in the US. The US has health services available for a price that means many can't afford it and so various schemes are devised to make it available. Healh Insurance, Medicare and so on. Nations like UK, France, Canada, Australia have universal health care systems where the government pays, at least, the minimum payment needed for a person to have access to health care irrespective of circumstance, the US does not have such a system. Obviously such schemes are provided out of taxation revenue

Because the US has entangled Health Insurance with employment it is difficult to dismantle the various options and have a universal scheme where the government assumes the primary responsibility for payment (public option). Existing coverage for disadvantaged groups must be maintained in the present form because the public option is not available, even if benefits are modified. There is also the question of how to control insurers so that coverage is not lost for various reasons, unemployment, existing condition, state jurisdiction. The US situation is very complex and continued tinkering creates greater complexity. This initiative attempts to provide greater coverage but there are trade-offs
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 03:02 PM

Since I was as lost as the rest of this nation seems to be in all the political rhetoric I found a link that breaks down the bill very nicely.

Affordable Health Care for America Act | EdLabor Journal | Committee on Education and Labor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real UNBIASED Medical Evaluations of Hydroquinone, Kojic Acid, Arbutin, Mequinol [ 11 Answers ]

As I have trolled this forum in search of "the miracle cream" or "the miracle solution," I have learned tons of things not to do, but have also seen some spamming/advertising, unresearched arguments, and no pictures to prove said claims. Luckily I found an article that I hope that many of you...

I need an unbiased opinion about my life [ 5 Answers ]

I need some unbiased help. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with me. Through out my life, I have let people in. I've opened up, I've let them see my soul. For some reason this always backfires on me... I had a girlfriend for 2 years, one day she decided she was bored with me, after all...

Unbiased Appointed Attorney? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay - I know I have been posting here a lot. One might think I'm really dumb (I hope not) but I AM very naïve and ignorant about how this system works. My ex husband "accidentally" filed an ex parte motion to change parenting time. I say "accidentally" because this is how it's been presented...

In need of an unbiased opinion about a high school sweetheart. [ 9 Answers ]

I know this isn't the proper way to start an introduction of sorts, but I REALLY need some help. If I don't I think I'm going to go nuts! I'm 30 years old - mom of 4 and I would say a reasonably intelligent person. I work my but off for my family - usually between 40 - 50 hours a week at the...

View more questions Search