Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cazof3boys Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2009, 09:34 AM
    My son is obessed with numbers and counting
    My Son 7yrs has always been into numbers will point them out if out and about. Resently I've noticed he would count the chips on his plate too car parking spaces.. The school and profs think there isn't anything wrong. I don't want to seem like a moaning mother but its really frustrating.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Dec 4, 2009, 09:45 AM

Why is this a problem? My son was always into numbers so I enocouraged it and it became a real love of Maths. He recently finished a degree at Oxford university in Maths and has now started a job with one of the top accountancy firms in England, so it didn't do him any harm!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 4, 2009, 09:58 AM

I don't see this as a problem. If he loves to count then let him, it will only help in the future.

How does he do in school? Is this focus on numbers taking away from concentration on other subjects? If not, then don't worry.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cazof3boys View Post
    My Son 7yrs has always been into numbers will point them out if out and about... The school and profs think there isnt anything wrong... its really frustrating.
    Hello c:

I would have him tested for autism, and I don't care what the profs think. If it's nothing, then you'll no longer be frustrated. And, if it's something, then he can get treated.

excon
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 10:56 PM
    My husband is obsessed with numbers as well - he told me one day that he repeats them silently in his head and counts things in his environment like your son.

I went - 'yea right'.

Anyway, I think my hubby is a high functioning Aspergers - very intelligent, functions normally in the world but has a range of slightly 'obsessive' behaviors. (I'm hoping he's not counting in his head when we have sex!)

Sorry, I didn't want to make light of your situation - but if everything else is normal - then he may just be somewhere on the Aspergers spectrum. In any case, I have noticed that boys can be more 'obsessive' when they are younger (collecting things, hoarding, counting, acting out certain behaviors) and many just grow out of it.

So it may just be his personality in combination with being a boy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Obessed?With my Teacher? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello There Im J.J I am A GIRL!! lol i am 13 and the thing is that i when't to this really little school when i was little wee so i moved and i came back right and everyone knows me and crap but there is a new teacher. Mrs. M and i though you know she ok in what not. but atfer time like a...

Letters are numbers and num lock off no numbers [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot get my hp pavilion notebook to respond, it started all of a sudden. When my num lock is on my letters on the keyboard turn into numbers... I=5 and so forth. Now when my num lock is off my keyboard works fine but I cannot use the number pad. I tried the fn key with almost every key on the...

I'm obessed and need advise [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm am a female that is 5'5 and 271 pounds and me and my husband want another baby and I want to loose weight and get healthy first what is a good way to loose a least 100 pounds in 1 year??

View more questions Search