Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skipmacl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Installing a cleanout in an iron pipe sewer line
    OK; read all the posts and exposed my 4" iron pipe sewer line as close to the house as I can get- about 3 ft. Ready to cut the pipe and install a combination wye and 1/8 bend but first two questions: 1. Is it really worth all the trouble to double the wye to provide access to the portion of the line between the c/o and the last access point inside the house (a toilet)? 2. Is there any reason to use iron for the wye, or can I use PVC with the no-hub couplings discussed elsewhere?
    Any other suggestions or notes before I get going?
    Many thanks and best regards,
    Skip.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2009, 08:52 AM

Hey Skip,
    What, exactly, are you attempting to accomplish? Is there a CO in place already? Are you settingup to snake against the flow from outside to the toilet? Please explain in detail. Regards, tom
    skipmacl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2009, 09:25 AM
    No, there's no external cleanout in this sewer line so I want to install one to provide access to the 50-60 ft run to the county sewer (street). Run becomes clogged with roots about annually, the last several years and each time I pay the rooter guy several hundred $$ to get up on the roof to rooter the run from the nearest access point, a vent line. So, the question is, just install a standard cleanout (single direction wye) pointing downstream, or go to the additional trouble and expense of installing a 2 way access point such as a Texas twin or equivalent. Since there aren't many blockage points between the planned location of the new cleanout and the fixtures in the house, I'm inclined to use a simple one-direction cleanout, pointing downstream and deal with any upstream issues through the in-house access points as necessary. However, material of the wye is still a question. Iron is a lot more expensive but would maintain the material of the sewer line, while PVC is cheap and readily available locally. I assume recommendation is to use no-hub fittings with couplings.
    Thanks,
    Skip.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2009, 09:25 AM

I'm inclined to use a simple one-direction cleanout, pointing downstream and deal with any upstream issues through the in-house access points as necessary.
    I agree, snaking against the flow is never a good idia.
    I would cut in a PVC combination wye and eighth bend and bring it up to grade with a clean out fitting. Glue a short piece of PVC in the hub to pick up the No-Hub band when uou connect to the cast iron.
    The Run becomes clogged with roots about annually,
    Let me helps with the roots. Going in, let me say that sooner or later you're going to have to bite the bullet and replace that old sewer line with PVC. If you wish to control roots RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a cleanout on my main sewer? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My neighbor and I will be digging a 9 foot deep hole on the side of my house to access my main sewer line which is about 3 feet inside the foundation of my house. Can anyone tell me the level of difficulty of this job... and how to do it? I want to install a cleanout so I can have access...

How to tie into a cast iron sewer pipe with new ASB [ 8 Answers ]

My sewer line runs under my bath. I am going to remodel my bath and need to know how to tie into an existing cast iron sewer line. Will cutting the line pose any explosion hazards? Would I just get an ASB connection and secure it with the clamped rubber couplings?

Laundry Waste Line--Can you tie into sewer mainline cleanout? [ 18 Answers ]

At some point in my single-story home's existence, a previous owner moved the laundry from its indoor setup (the original design) to the garage. That owner tied the laundry waste line into the cleanout for the kitchen sink, which was exposed in the garage. He used 1-1/2" steel pipe for the...

Shortening a cast iron sewer cleanout [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron sewer cleanout in my front yard that I want to lower by a couple feet due to landscaping. Can I just cut this with a grinder and use a Fernco adapter to attach a new PVC cap housing on? Is there a metal solution? Thanks for ideas.

Plugging hole in main sewer line/installing cleanout? [ 2 Answers ]

My basement sewer backs up every so often from a hole the previous owner drilled in the cast iron pipe which they used as a drain for the washer and a wash basin. The hole is 2-3 inch in diameter and is not sealed in anyway. To me this seems stupid and probably the cause of the sewer backups...

View more questions Search