Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wun_bun Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Garburator
    There's a rotten smell coming from the drain of my sink. I suspect the first thing to do is to clean my garburator. I am not able to take it out, is there any product safe to be used on the garburator? I am thinking of using bleach but I am not sure if it would harm it. Thank you.
    guke121 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2009, 10:42 AM

I have used bleach several times and it works well and causes no problems. Just make sure after you let bleach sit for a while to run the unit while running water with it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 3, 2009, 11:05 AM

Empty your ice maker, turn the water on full, start the disposer and dump in the ice. There are also many commercial products like Oxi-HomeŽ Elements Garbage Disposal Cleaner (16601001) - Garbage Disposal Accessories - Ace Hardware but bleach works OK. Problem with bleach and other watery products is they can't soak since they immediately drain out.
    wun_bun Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys.

I just saw a video on YouTube about using ice. I was worried about breaking the blades, but looks like it shouldn't.

Cheers.

Dec 3, 2009, 11:43 AM

There are no blades in a garbage disposer, there are hammers and ice will be no problem
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Dec 3, 2009, 11:59 AM

I throw a cut up lemon down there every once in a while. The acid seems to do the trick, and as a bonus, the sink smells like lemonade for a day or so.

Dec 3, 2009, 12:12 PM

Lemon, orange peel do help with the smell but do not really remove the cause. Keeping using them for a fresher smell. Ice or a ccommercial product will scour the unit and remove the rotting debris.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search