Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srtman4u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 10:43 PM
    Can I make my son's mother change his last name to mine?
    As of right now I'm not on the birth certificate but after petitioning for paternity and custody/visitation rights would I be able to force a last name change since my son's mother didn't use my last name on his birth certificate? What are my rights in New York State?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 3, 2009, 12:13 PM

A mother can name her child anything she wants to.

She doesn't have to give the child your last name. She doesn't even have to give the child HER last name if she doesn't use yours.

You'd have to prove, in court, why forcing her to change the child's last name would be in the CHILD'S benefit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my son's mother change his name to the stepfather? [ 14 Answers ]

OK, I just recently found out that my sons mother who I haven't heard from in about 7 yrs changed his name to her husbands last name without my consent. I have not seen my son since he was a 1 1/2 when his mother got married and took him from me. We went to court a few times and the judge gave her...

How do I change my son's last name to mine [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change my son's last name to mine

Changing my son's last name to mine - the Bio father [ 4 Answers ]

When my son was born the mother and I were not together. She gave my son her boyfriends last name. They are no longer together and I finally have him back in my life. Since he is my biological son what steps do I need to take to get his name changed to mine?

My son's last name. Mine or Father's? [ 15 Answers ]

Well I am in a tough situation. I am currently 7 months pregnant. I am not together with the baby's father. I live with my parents, and he hasn't provided anything what so ever for me this whole time that I have been pregnant. He verbally abuses me, he's threatened my life and has put his hands on...

View more questions Search