Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    P Terry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 09:16 PM
    Widow's pension
    My mother, 77 yrs. Old, is a widow. My father pasted away Sept. 1998. She receives a monthly social security check. Would she be eligible to receive a widow's pension? If so, would it effect what she is getting now. She also has Medicare and Medicaid, would it cause her not to be able eligible for any of her insurance?

Patty
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 3, 2009, 10:47 AM

Whether you mother is eligible to receive a pension based on your father's work history is dependent on the specific rules of the pension plans for the companies your father worked for. If he was retired and collecting a pension proir to his death, he should have selected a particular pension payment option, which may or may not have included an option to continue payment to his wife after his death. I suggest that if your mother is uncertain about this she contact his employer(s) HR department and ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer US Pension to a UK Pension Plan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a US citizen permanently livng in the UK. I currently have a US pension that I would like to transfer to a UK pension plan. Will the IRS allow me to do that? From what I have read, tax-free transfers are allowed from one qualified plan to another qualified plan, or to an IRA. And according to...

Pension Tax [ 1 Answers ]

President Obama was going to waive the taxes on early pension withdrawl up to $10,000. Has this "change" happened yet? Robert

The Widow's Legacy. [ 1 Answers ]

THE WIDOW'S LEGACY. A gentleman who recently died left the sum of $80,000 to be divided among His widow, five sons, and four daughters. He directed that every son Should receive three times as much as a daughter, and that every Daughter should have twice as much as their mother. What was the...

401 or state pension 25 year pension [ 1 Answers ]

I always wonder if I had a 401k insteed of a state pension. The period is from: 1969-1994. I received $1,000 a month for life. Have already received $192,600 But what about other scenario. 401K investment plan during the same period. Would it be better, the same, or worst?? ...

Her pension vs no pension [ 1 Answers ]

My friends is getting divorced and being sued for infidelity. His wife has a great teachers pension. What percent do you think he may be entitled to. The point is they have 2 houses and land, but she is the bread winner. He wants to keep the primary home. They live in NY. I doubt the charge...

View more questions Search