Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smile524 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Running electric cable phone lines
    I am remolding my master bedroom and want to add additional cable, telephone and electric lines. Someone had mentioned that I should not have an electrical outlet that is directly across from another electrical outlet, is this a problem? Can I put all 3 lines in one box or would it be smarter to run my electrical outlets in a sgl gang box and run my cable and phone together in a dbl gang box? I am also wanting to put up a flat screen TV, do I need any special wiring for that. I would like to run surround sound, I don't have any type of equipment for that yet. Is there any kind of wire that you would suggest that would be pretty much used that would be good for all types (or the majority) of surround sound systems. Same question for speaker wires.
    Thanks for any help you can give
    Margaret
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Dec 2, 2009, 09:04 PM

I don't have time to answer all your questions, but here's a start.

Power wiring. For all intents and purposes, NEVER put 120v wiring in the same box as phone, data, CATV, or other low voltage stuff.

Surround sound. You can buy UTP (unshielded twisted pair) jacketed 16 ga cable that is made for speaker level audio. I thing it is denoted CMR. (Don't feel up to running to look at my spool right now.) That stuff should do anything you will need unless the runs get much over 50 ft or you are into serious audiophile equipment. Of course then you would know what to use anyway. Just DON'T get suckered into that Monster cable or "directional" speaker wiring. Copper is copper. The quality of your terminations will make the most difference.

You can combine phone, data, CATV, speaker wire, whatever low voltage all in the same box if you want. It will just get ugly if it is too tight.

EPM
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2009, 09:31 PM

There is a special recessed box you can buy for your flat screen.

Keep power separate where you can, otherwise you have to use an approved low/HV box.

You can run flex orange conduit for low voltage (LV) if you like.

I like not using boxes for LV, just a LV metal ring.

Check out Smarthome - Home Automation, X10, Remote Control, Lighting, Wireless Security
    The Leviton snap in jacks allow lots of combinations.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2009, 10:08 PM

A TV box: Arlington industries tvb613 recessed flat screen tv box

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buried 480 cable, crossing water lines [ 5 Answers ]

Trying to suss out the legality (though I understand that your advise is not legally binding ;-)): We have 480 underground that recently needed repair where it crossed a water line (they had mutually interacted and damaged each other, though the electrical had not tripped any breakers up to that...

Phone and Electric lines together ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello every one , here is what I thinking about doing. I have just added a separate building in my yard about 50 feet away from the main house, 2 bed ,1 bath and a small kitchenette. In the main house I have a 200 amp service, so power for the building is coming from the house via a 2 inch...

2 phone lines [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have 2 phone lines in our home. The 2nd one is in our bedroom we are using this as our home phone and entnet, the first one is not in use.(was disconnected when my DH's mom and dad moved out) I want to make the first line part of the 2nd line so we can have phones all over the house...

Continuation of 2 phone lines [ 1 Answers ]

What if the set of wires from Phone 1 are a different color from Phone 2? Also, if I need to install a DSL filter inside the house, where would I install it?

Switching from cable to DSL phone lines [ 2 Answers ]

We will be switching this week from cable to DSL... My question is this... with the phone line coming into the house from the main outside box, can I hook a connector to that line alone, and connect to computer directly from that line, or do I need to connect that line to a inside wall box, and...

View more questions Search