Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billatlobo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Furnace duct hum -harmonics
    My gas furnace was recently serviced. I now notice a high pitched hum that is audible when the furnace and fan are operating. Shut the furnace down and the hum disappears. The hum is periodic and not continuous. It is audible throughout the house and it is impossible to isolate the source. I have talked to the service manager. He thinks it is "harmonics" stemming from the rush of air through grates, etc. Not true in my case. Hope you can help. Bill
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 05:04 PM

Where does the noise seem most obvious - near the furnace, or somewhere else in the home? I have seen several cases of "harmonics" produced at the return grilles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Energy frequency/harmonics. [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone might be able to point me towards some resources regarding this. I just listened to David Sereda on Coast to Coast (talk radio) and it was some mind blowing information. I want to put it to practical use, (I don't know a thing about scientific terminology though) I'd...

This Old House, Hum, never can I rest ! [ 7 Answers ]

With very little persuasion a couple of large areas of plaster are ready to fall off the lath on a ceiling. I would like to just remove those sections reveiling the joist above. Then use 3/8" rock over the entire room?

Furnace flu duct has sand like substance [ 2 Answers ]

This is my third year in my house and have just recently noticed that there is a sand like substance that runs up the flu from my furnace. My question is should there be a sand like substance in my flu duct. I am sure it has been there since I purchased the house and never really looked that...

Furnace Thermostat Near Heat Duct [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an older home (1928). The furnace thermostat is mounted to a wall which also carries a heat duct to the second floor. The wall surface is warm during the heating season and I think this radiant heat is affecting the thermostat. Is there a way to shield the stat to minimize the heat...

What is needed to run air duct from furnace? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I need to run a new air duct from my furnace (forced air, 90%) system to a bathroom. There was an existing pipe going to the bathroom, but I had to cut the pipe in order to expand the bathroom. Now I am ready to re-run the duct to the new bathroom and I have two questions. Oh, the...

View more questions Search