Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jodie123 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2009, 07:40 AM
    8 week old kitten
    About three weeks ago I brought home a 8 week old femail kitten called Mavis, I was worried that when I went to work she was getting lonely so I condulted my vet who told me to get another kitten to keep her company. S I found another kitten. Turns out Mavis keeps hissing and spitting at the new kitten and I'm scared that she will damage her. Ethle (the new kitten) is only very small so I have kept them apart for the last week, however this can't carry on forever as my house isn't that big. It's all been very stressful as neither of them are getting the love and attention they deserve because I have to split my time between the two rooms. My mum has offered to take the new kitten but I will be devastated if I have to give her up!

Please help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 10:31 AM

One cat in the house is enough. They don't get lonely because they are very independent animals. I guess the vet was telling you something you wanted to hear which was totally unnecessary. Release the tension and let your mom take the other cat. You already have a cat... the first one. I just hope both are neutered, or will be soon, so you don't have any unnecessary kittens around.

Tick

Dec 2, 2009, 03:56 AM

Hi,

It wasn't just the vet that I asked though, I also spoke to the Cats Protection and told them that I didn't really want another kitten but that I was worried about the kitten. They advised me the same as the vet. They said that seen as Mavis was still so young she wouldn't be teritorial yet, no one explained to me that there was a risk of this happening. I let them together last night but I couldn't work out if they were playing or fighting, kittens often play rough and neither were making any noises and the little one wasn't trying to run off, but I'm scared that she will get hurt.
    I understand what your saying about releasing the tension but I don't just want to get rid of her because she making things difficult. They will both be spayed when they are old enough.

Dec 2, 2009, 03:58 AM
    8 week old kittne
    About three weeks ago I brought home a 8 week old femail kitten called Mavis, I was worried that when I went to work she was getting lonely so I condulted my vet who told me to get another kitten to keep her company. S I found another kitten. Turns out Mavis keeps hissing and spitting at the new kitten and I'm scared that she will damage her. Ethle (the new kitten) is only very small so I have kept them apart for the last week, however this can't carry on forever as my house isn't that big. It's all been very stressful as neither of them are getting the love and attention they deserve because I have to split my time between the two rooms. My mum has offered to take the new kitten but I will be devastated if I have to give her up!

Please help
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Dec 2, 2009, 07:54 AM

Most cats and kittens will not get along at first. Give it time. I'd probably separate them when you're not home, but when you are home, make sure they're together. Otherwise they won't have a chance to get used to each other.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2009, 08:13 AM

Get plenty of distractions for them when they are together... get lots of toys for them both to play with.

Cardboard boxes scattered around your living room with treats inside is a good way for them to be in the same room together but the boxes provide a safe place to jump in and out of and get away from each other.

Dec 2, 2009, 08:54 AM

Thanks, I really hope they start to get on... I wanted them to be friends so they could keep each other company when I'm at work and I can't bear the thought of having to give one away. Do you know how long it will take?

Dec 2, 2009, 10:53 AM

Depends on their personalities for how long it'll take. They may not be best friends but you should at least feel comfortable leaving them alone together very soon. I personally feel that sometimes they actually get along better when nobody else is around. But you're doing great and I'm glad you're trying instead of giving one away
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 02:52 PM

Two cats in the household, find their own level of compatibillity. It usually works out. It always has for me and over the years I have had many of those lovely little critters. Right now I have a reformed barn cat called Pickle who is probably 3 now, got her at probably 6 weeks out of the barn. She is called Pickle cause she is always 'in a pickle around here'.

Tick

Dec 8, 2009, 06:42 AM

Panic over. I let them in the same room together... They had a small play fight and then cuddles up on the sofa together. Now they are best of friends... I can't believe. Harmoney is restored!

Dec 8, 2009, 06:44 AM

Panic over. I let them in the same room together... They had a small play fight and then cuddles up on the sofa together. Now they are best of friends... I can't believe. Harmoney is restored!

Dec 10, 2009, 11:19 AM

I'm so glad to hear that. Good job!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 week old kitten [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have recently received a 5 week old kitten and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much milk I should be giving her. She is eating solid food but she prefers the milk. She is really small because her mother stopped feeding her so she has lost quite allot of weight. I would really...

3 week old kitten [ 1 Answers ]

My three week old kitten's eye closed and won't reopen... It was open a few days ago. There is no discharge. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks:confused:

8 week old kitten [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted a 8 week old tabby yesterday. She has not eaten nor drank anything nor has she used the litterbox. Is this normal? Is so how often does a 8 week old kitten use the litterbox? Will she begin eating on her own? Thanks in advance for your help!

3 week only kitten [ 2 Answers ]

My three week old kitten is not using his back legs at all, they are spayed out to his sides and he is draging them when he moves - is this normal?

How could my 2 week old kitten die? [ 1 Answers ]

Perfectly healthy cat( peanut), growing normally, and I woke up at 430am eastern time on 2.18.07 to find him dead. He has a sister name lucky that is healthy also but didn't have "spasm" type thing that peanut would have from time to time . These spasm's would consist of him crying and rolling...

View more questions Search