Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissJazzy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 12:39 AM
    Is it OK to use Glycolic Acid with HQ and Retin-A?
    Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and I've reading it for about a month now. You guys have so much knowledge and have done so much research. It has saved me from wasting my money, so thank you very much! I'm trying to even out my face, and my arms, which are like 5 shades darker than the rest of my body.

After all the reading I think I am going to try the HQ 4% along with the Retin-A with a 0.05% to start. I've already been using a 12% Glycolic Acid wash on my face and a 15% Glycolic Acid scrub on my body, because it makes me very soft :). Is it OK to use the Retin A cream, or is it too much exfoliation?

Also I know lots of people said they used Glycolic peels or creams, is that better than the washes? And is it OK to use with Retin A?

Sorry last question, but should I be using lactic acid instead of glycolic?

Thanks!
    Gr8stuff Posts: 197, Reputation: 8

Dec 2, 2009, 05:34 AM

Hi MissJazzy and welcome to the forum.

It is usually advised to use either RA or glycolic but not both together... And since you're trying to even out your skin, why don't you start with a series of peel first (set of 6) and then start your HQ & RA regime...

Also, lactic acid is a lot better than Glycolic when it comes to hyperpigmentation. And since your skin is quite used to the gly acid, you can start with a 40% lactic acid peel... do it once a week for 6 weeks... You will notice significant improvement by the end of 6 weeks and after that you can use the HQ and RA if you still need it...

The good thing about lactic acid 40%-50% is that there's no skin irritation or downtime whatsoever... your skin will get clearer and clearer and it's not drying either...

Also useful to add, results you get from a peel is more permanent or long lasting than any lightening cream...
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 10:02 PM

I believe that's what I should have tried with my arms first, the lactic or glycolic acids that is. Gr8stuff which brands do you think are best for glycolic and lactic? What do you think about salicylic?

Dec 2, 2009, 11:35 PM

Thanks so much for the advice Gr8Stuff. And like Golden Girl said, what brands for the lactic acid peels should I get and where should I get them from. I use Dermadoctor's wrinkle revenge 1 and their kp duty scrub.

I've had glycolic peels and they are OK, but I'm interested in doing them at home as well as the lactic ones.

Where is the best place to buy them?

Dec 3, 2009, 09:55 AM

GG and MissJazzy, if you're based in the US, you can get it from makeupartistschoice; they have quite a good reputation and in the UK, if you don't want to order from the US; you can get it from eBay seller "forever-young" to save on shipping cost...

I strongly advise anyone who is trying to get rid of hyperpigmentation or lightening their skin in general to try the lactic acid peels first and then take it from there... otherwise the creams take forever to work (if they work at all) and results from creams doesn't last long...
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Dec 3, 2009, 03:55 PM

Personally I don't like salicylic acid. It never really did much for me unlike Glycolic and lactic acid. Although on doing some research, I've found that it's not recommended for people with darker skin tones as it can cause hyperpigmentation and scarring. For more info please refer to this link Salicylic Acid Peel Review
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2009, 08:32 PM
    So the lactic and glycolic is the preferred over salicylic. I'll check into the makeupartistschoice lactic acid for my arms and hands. Because my arms and hands just aren't lightening at all, so I use hq on my face and neck everyother day so I won't look like 2 different people all in 1, because of my hands. Thanks!

Dec 4, 2009, 01:57 PM

Haha Golden Girl, yeah my hands and arms won't lighten either. Is there a % we should be looking for in the lactic or glycolic peels?

Dec 4, 2009, 05:29 PM

Salicyclic is for very oily skin and for those who have acne. It actually get rid of acne... altho you have to be careful if you have dark skin. You can try glycolic 30% or lactic 40%... you should start seeing brighter skin after a couple of peels...
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8stuff View Post
    Salicyclic is for very oily skin and for those who have acne. It actually get rid of acne...altho you have to be careful if you have dark skin. You can try glycolic 30% or lactic 40%...you should start seeing brighter skin after a couple of peels...
    I checked out the lactic acid at makeupartistschoice, I did sign up for specials but I went to compare over on Amazon. Anyone heard of Skin Laboratory? They have a really good reputation so I got the lactic peel and saved an extra 14.80 for 1 oz, but it's 50% strength they don't offer40%. Will this be too strong for my arms and hands or is it fine?

Also I was looking at the ph balancers, is this an absolute must have, because I was reading and it was stated that I can make my own peel neutralizer to adjust the ph with 2 tbsp. baking soda mixed with 1 cup cool water.

Dec 5, 2009, 10:14 AM

I guess the lactic acid from Amazon is fine too... If you're not sure about the strength, you could try a patch test first and you can also reduce the strength by adding distilled water to it since it is water based. But for the arms, 50% shouldn't be a problem since the skin is tougher...

Neutralizer is very important and you're right you can use baking soda mixed with water...

Dec 5, 2009, 11:58 AM

I'm ordering my 40% lactic today, so I'll keep you ladies posted. I'm going to take a before and after picture to see if it really makes a difference.

Gr8Stuff, how many times a week do you use it? And when did you move up to the 55% or 65%?

Also what's the best sunscreen to use on your body that does not feel dry or chalky after it dries. I want something wit spf 70 or higher?

Dec 5, 2009, 04:15 PM

I used lactic 40% for 4 weeks; once a week... and then moved to 55%... for 2 weeks... and then took a break... I'm only using it to get rid of hyperpigmentation on my back and so far, most of it is gone... I'm on the 2 weeks break now and will resume the peels in a few days...

About sunblock... I think neutrogena makes quite good ones... I think they also have high SPF factor... I personally use Garnier Ambre Solaire with SPF 50 cause it's widely available here in the UK and is not greasy and don't leave the white cast on the skin...
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8stuff View Post
    I used lactic 40% for 4 weeks; once a week...and then moved to 55%...for 2 weeks...and then took a break...I'm only using it to get rid of hyperpigmentation on my back and so far, most of it is gone...I'm on the 2 weeks break now and will resume the peels in a few days...

About sunblock...I think neutrogena makes quite good ones...I think they also have high SPF factor...I personally use Garnier Ambre Solaire with SPF 50 cause it's widely available here in the UK and is not greasy and don't leave the white cast on the skin...
    Thanks Gr8stuff. I am hoping Missjazzy and I will have great results in a few weeks, I'll be taking a before/after pic of the arms as well.

Great, was the lactic was able to lighten your back or just even the tone? What will you be using as a skin lightener for the back next?

Dec 6, 2009, 02:51 AM

GG, it got rid of most of the hyperpigmentation but also lighten elsewhere by at least 1 shade(bearing in mind I didn't use anything else apart from sunblock).. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to use a skin lightener... once the hyperpigmentation is gone 100%, I'll try to maintain it with occasional RA and sunblock...

You probably can get better results if you also use a skin lightener in between the peels.. it'll help the cream to penetrate better in the skin; a bit like what RA does but RA takes a while to exfoliate the skin while the peels are kind of quicker...

Dec 6, 2009, 02:46 PM

So I was reading the instructions on makeupartistschoice and after you let it sit for 3-7mins, and then wash it off, does your skin actually peel off like when u get peels on your face?

And is it OK to put a moisturizer or lotion on afterwards before I put on my spf?
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2009, 04:52 PM

I am believe it will slough off gradually.

Great, that I what I'll have to try when I will be trying to lighten larger areas of my body.. the aha, lighten, aha. Something such as that.

Dec 6, 2009, 08:59 PM

MJ, no, the skin will not peel or get very dry with lactic 40%... in fact, it moisturizes the skin and kind of leave a glow and a couple days after,the skin looks a lot brighter...

You can use a moisturizer after but use a mild one and certainly not one with AHA or RA...

GG, that sounds like a good regime... keep us posted on your results...
    slimgoody Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 12:22 AM

Ok, I have been using a combo of Retin A, Hydro to lighten my complexion my face has been peeling like crazy but my body hasn't this combo is not working for my body. I was thinking about adding a glycolic peel for my body once or twice a week, my body is at a stand still but my face is Wonderful! What do I do? Any suggestions.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slimgoody View Post
    Ok, I have been using a combo of Retin A, Hydro to lighten my complexion my face has been peeling like crazy but my body hasn't this combo is not working for my body. I was thinking about adding a glycolic peel for my body once or twice a week, my body is at a stand still but my face is Wonderful! What do I do? Any suggestions.
    For the body, yes it is best to do a few series of peels first with an aha such as glycolic or lactic acid. Then, switch to hq/ra, this way your boy will be able to absorb and lighten better and faster compared to not using the peels first. It isn't mandatory, yet it is preferred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amazed With Results! Glycolic Acid and Kojic Acid [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, I have wriiten some posts before on this subject. I got three emails from people I supplied my information with. There are two products you need to get for hand and face. One is glycolic acid cream (10%) also kojic acid. The Kojic acid can be founf in Palmers Skin Success Section. It will...

Retin A and glycolic acid peel? [ 1 Answers ]

I've just started using retin a and my fair and white mixed together this week. I was using it three times a day on my face instead of once at night and my face has been peeling like crazy which I hate but revealing lighter skin and clearing my hyper pigmentation faster. I was very impressed by...

12% Glycolic Acid Lotion? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, So after reading a lot of threads on this forum I decided to go with the most natural approach I could think of. So I ordered the Diana Stadler Kojic Acid Papaya soap. I have been using that for two weeks now and just read about vitamin C and glycolic acid. My question is where can...

Glycolic acid [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that glycolic acid crem can remove old scar?what kind of glycolic acid cream will I buy?where can I buy it? Help me!need your advice!:(

Glycolic acid creams [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,what product name has glycolic acid cream? Help me:confused:

View more questions Search