Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 01:46 PM

That's kind of weird. Maybe it's their way of making what they believe is polite conversation? 5'3" and 123lbs is slender. Could they be concerned that you are heading towards anorexia? It doesn't sound like you are, but maybe they are worried. I've noticed some people seem to be a little obsessed with protein and believe that we needs tons and tons of protein to be healthy. Maybe if you started educating them about how much protein you really need and how much protein you can get from non-meat sources they'll leave you alone. If every time they bother you they get a nutrition lecture, maybe they'll get the hint and leave you alone.
    Evgb Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2009, 02:32 PM

Thank you, that is some good advice. The only thing is, I have responded before with telling them that someone my age should get 45 grams of protein per day, I get plenty, and tried to educate them. It really is so annoying because it is every day if they are around. I feel like telling them I am going to eat T-bones for lunch. LOL. I shouldn't have to deal with this crap. I'll try what you said &speak up and educate them until they don't want to hear it anymore.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 02:44 PM

What exactly do they say?

Is it like:

"That's all your eating?"

"Eww salad"

"Wow just a ____ you need some meat-- that's so bad"

---

If it's anything like that you can say:

"I respect your food choices could you respect mine- thank-you"

Dec 4, 2009, 04:06 PM

They say things like,
    "What's for Lunch?"
    "Just salad?"
    "Oh, veggie calzone; is there any protein?"
    "No Protein?", or "Where's the protein?"
    "How many calories", "How much protein?"
    "What do you eat for protein?"
    Today, this was the conversation with my boss:
    Boss: "We're gonna go get some subs down the street, do you want anything?"
    Me: "No thank you, I brought my lunch."
    Boss: "You sure?"
    Me: "Ya, I brought a salad, thanks anyway."
    Boss: "Oh, just salad? You should eat something good."
    Me: "I like salad."
    Boss: "Where's the protein?"
    Me: "I get plenty of protein."
    Boss:"Did you bring like 3 almonds, or some what do you call them, legumes?"

(I bring lentils and rice sometimes, and it took a while for him to understand what lentils are (legumes) and that they have protein)
    The last comment he made really made me kind of upset. "3 almonds" I snack on almonds and chocolate chips sometimes (almonds also have protein and monounsaturated fat, which I tried to educate him on, but only to be made fun of) I don't understand the interrogation.
    Also, the other day my supervisor (the manager) was in the office when I was ordering a veggie calzone, and I asked him if he wanted anything, to which he replied, "No thanks, what are you getting?!", then asked me what was in my "thermos" which is a stainless water bottle, to which I replied, water. Then, when my lunch arrives, he is standing in the exact spot that I eat lunch every day, putting #'s in his cellphone, so I put my lunch on the counter and kept working, waiting for him to leave. He wouldn't move from that spot for 45 minutes. It was like he was waiting for me to eat so he could see what I had and comment. (There was no other place to eat; it's a small office and I would've had to be about 2 inches away from him to eat). I started vacuuming and then he finally left after 45 minutes of typing in his phone, @ 2pm. I normally eat around 12:30 or 1:00, and I was starving. Of course, my manager is really a different story, he has some serious issues-control freak, passive aggressive, workplace bully, etc. etc.
    BTW-They don't eat in the office, they get to leave for lunch. Except that the manager eats a single clementine or orange every morning.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 04:12 PM

I eat a lot of Lebanese food at work and people are always asking me what it is, or making smart remarks. I offer them some, and then I ignore them.

I think you should do the same, I mean purposely ignore them. If they keep on, tell them ENOUGH. You'd like to enjoy your food, and it's not your fault that they don't eat healthy.

I'm sure you're a nice person, because most of us would have already told them off. But sometimes you have to take care of things like this, in a direct manner.

Don't let them drive you crazy, or ruin your lunch.

You'll get the last word, because you'll out live them all.

Now you go enjoy your bird food.

Just kidding.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 04:14 PM

When they start bothering you say:

"Please stop questioning my food choices. I feel offended and frankly I don't like defending my food choices on a daily basis. With all due respect you don't see me telling you how bad meat is for you and how you should change your eating habits. Thanks"

Maybe change it up a bit-- make it sound more like you but you get the point.

You need to stand up to them or else the comments will just keep coming. It may not stop completely when tell them but it won't be as much.

:) Good luck. Hope all works out well for you-- I know it can be annoying.

Dec 4, 2009, 04:15 PM

Thanks. I think you're right; the moral of the story is I just need to stand-up for myself and address it directly. However, how do I do that, I mean ignore them-w/o seeming disrespectful?
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 04:17 PM

Smile at them, go "hmm", shake your head while smiling and keep eating.

Dec 4, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Mudweiser: Yes, I agree. I need to say something. In fact, there are many other things that I am going to address, and I will address this at the same time. Thanks.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 4, 2009, 05:28 PM

Hope you don't mind a dissenting opinion here. Sometimes, especially in a closed bubble environment like the workplace, you have to "go along to get along".

I'm not sure you're going to gain anything except ill-will by trying to train them to leave you alone on this topic. I can state with 98% certainty they do not mean anything offensive by it. And as such, being offended is actually a personal decision. It is just as reasonable for you to opt to not be bothered.

Not wanting to debate the merits of your eating choices is fine, and I agree you can find ways to not engage them when they bring it up. But I have to suggest that you do it without a confrontation.

The first best approach is always going to be humor. You can indicate you're not interested in talking seriously about a topic by NEVER answering with anything other than a silly comment back.

Boss: "What you eating today?"
    You: "Whatever the warden packed"

Boss: "Where's the protein?"
    You: "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to eat you."

Boss: "How many calories in that?"
    You: "Probably none, you have to pay extra for calories and I'm still waiting for my raise to come through. Bite?"

Boss: "Just a salad?"
    You: (looking down in shock) "Holy cow, someone stole my lobster!?"
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 11:36 PM
    My husband's a veggo - has been since he was 16 and he HATES people asking him about his eating habits. I've slowly encouraged him not to take it so seriously and to either ignore it or respond with humor. He's slowly getting it. (old dogs learn new tricks slowly)

JB has the right attitude - don't engage in the conversation - just laugh. They know exactly what you have for lunch every day (they do this to annoy you and get a response) - so just say - 'I'm having the usual rabbit food', ha ha.

Don't talk about it, try to justify or explain it or get into any discussion about protein, calories, etc, etc. The more you allow them to drive you crazy, the more they'll keep needling you. If you react with less annoyance, they'll get tired of it eventually.

PS Sorry to be pain, but you're not a vegeterian if you eat chicken.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 11:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    Sorry to be pain, but you're not a vegeterian if you eat chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgb
    I am a vegetarian, but even before I became a full-time vegetarian they always had some kind of comment about what I was eating, like:
    "Just a salad?"
    (big salad w/tons of veggies and either chicken or chickpeas plus snacks)
    Did you catch that Gem ;)

Dec 5, 2009, 07:37 AM
    Why does my supervisor smile at really inappropriate times?
    My supervisor is really serious and gruff most of the time. However, whenever I tell him something serious or we're talking about something that is serious, i.e.. Talking about when I was really sick with the swine flu, he smiles; I mean gets a grin/smirk on his face. Sometimes he laughs under his breath at inappropriate times as well. What is his deal?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2009, 08:18 AM

The older I get, the more I realize that many people have strange habits and behavior.

Is he a hateful person? Do you really think that he actually enjoys hearing about the bad things that you experience? If so, then he is just a jacka$$.

It might be that he reacts to certain situations in an odd way. I know a guy that blinks when he is told something serious. In a recent meeting, I couldn't help but notice his eye lids were flapping like a Hummingbird's wings.

I also know someone who laughs when he is being disciplined.

Some people have strange habits. I hope he is just one of them.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Dec 5, 2009, 03:29 PM

You haven't said (that I know of)... how much do they need you? You may have more leverage than you think in this... although you need to be careful applying it.

No matter what, you can't take off during finals.

Don't worry about the side issues like eating habits, they are distracting you from the main issue. Just laugh at them when they comment.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2009, 03:36 PM

Have you looked around for other jobs yet?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2009, 01:48 PM
    I just think that some people are not comfortable being one-to-one with other people and the grin or smile is an indication of their discomfort.

Dec 8, 2009, 11:56 AM

That could be the case. However, I think he has deeper issues. He is mean and nasty a lot of the time.

Dec 8, 2009, 12:03 PM

Well, I'm not sure how bad they need me. I know they probably don't want to look around for someone else. (and I do my job well, but I'm not sure if they realize this.) I haven't looked for another job yet, because I have literally no time at all. As soon as I go on my Christmas break, I am looking for a job. I'll have a month to find one before school starts again.

Dec 8, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Oh, and now my boss says I don't smile enough now. He jokingly said he's worried about me because I don't smile, and he thinks I'm sad. I told him I smile all the time, and I'm not sad. He said, "Don't take me picking on you personally because I'll never stop."
    Did he ever think that maybe because I never get positive reinforcement, and he only picks on me, every time he sees me-maybe that's why I don't have a huge grin on all the time? Maybe it bothers me?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Work within USA less than 183 days [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I am a Chinese student who came to US in Aug, 2007. My program lasts just nine months and I started to work as an intern under OPT since Sep, 2008. I decided to go back to China in June this year, that means I will just work less than half year (183 days) in USA in tax year...

I'm going off too a different college, how can I make it work? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are attending different colleges. I think it can work because I know we are both really committed to the relationship. However, the last time I saw him he said something that really confused me. He told me that I could see other people if I wanted to. I said heck no, but I'm not...

I hope this work,and you said you noticed it in two days [ 7 Answers ]

Well I hope this work I am using benoquin and I just started it and nothing so far I am wondering was this just a hoax I'm using 20% no burning no nothing and to think I was so scared that I would wake up with white spots, if this mess works I will be sure to let you know:rolleyes:

Can I get any refund if I file since I paid for college books but didn't work? [ 2 Answers ]

I did not work in 2007 but I am an adult returning to college and 2007 was my first year in pursuit of an associate's degree. Most of my tuition and fees were paid by a Pell Grant, but I did pay about $500 to $600 buying my own books and a few very small payments on the balance of Stafford loans...

Credit for work experience and college credits [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have received associates degree, taken masters level courses and received numerous amounts of professional training considered as credit hours. Is there anyplace that is accredited and/or recognized that can equivilate this to a degree for me? Thanks, Jamie

View more questions Search