Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FrankAZ61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Is emailing a doctor a HIPAA violation?
    I emailed my doctor regarding a health issue. I found out later he was out for a period and contacted his associate through a nurse. Today, the doctor returned and read my email. I was contacted by a nurse that said that I cannot email the doctor because it IS a HiPPA violation. She said it was not a secure system, but I was just guessing at his email address when I sent the email. BTW, she said I cannot email him again.

Is she correct that this is a HIPPA violation?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 02:46 PM

The only people who can be guilty of HIPAA violations are health professionalsand health plans, so the fact that you emailed your doctor is not by itself a violation (I am assuming you are the patient here and not a health professional). HOWEVER, if your doctor responded back it could be a violation. His using email for confidential medical information is a violation unless his office complies with some very stringent rules as to how email records are stored and handled. I bet his office does not have the sytems in place to comply with these email rules, so it has been drummed into the nurse's head to never use email for confidential medical information. And now she is just parotting that same line back to you. In fairnss - they are probably pretty sensitive to this, and are playing it safe so that you don't send email with confidential information and then sue them for not having a secure HIPAA-compliant email system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation [ 25 Answers ]

I am involved with Department of Children and Families in Florida for a false allegation my child's father made. I have a pending domestic violence case against him among other things. DCF has released my personal health information to him in a case plan, stating who my doctor was, who my counsiler...

Is this a hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

I work for an office that has patient files on desks and the hipaa sign in sheets out for anyone to see. The doctor doesn't seem to think this is a problem and when I bring it to her attention she bites my head off. This is very upsetting to me, am I wrong?

Is it a HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer owns a medical practise and I am the physician who works for her. She is supposed to bill for the patients so that money can come in. For the past several weeks, she has not been doing the billing either in the office or from home and therefore, there is no income. She has kept several...

Hipaa Violations by a Doctor [ 7 Answers ]

If a person fell at a restaurant and was injured, sought medical treatment. The doctor told the owner of the restaurant that the person's injuries was exaserbated by his weight. Is this OK?

HIPAA Violation [ 4 Answers ]

A Physician I know was forced to close his practice because of illness. The person that worked in his office has taken the computer with pertainate information on all of his patients and refuses to return it. A policee report was file but he and his wife were told that nothing could be done. I work...

View more questions Search