Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joseph kearns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Flour mites
    Have found alarge quantity of small bugs all over the kitchen cupboards in dark areas ,around food flour they are breading in clusters adults are 1mm long .2mmwide move slowly what are they flour mites have you any pictures for me to compare
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 02:39 PM

They are a lot more then flour mites. They will eat anything in our cupboards. Take everything out and destroy all grains, wheats breads, rice, just about everything, oatmeal, etc. Wash out cupboards. This is only my solution but we do have a great expert in this area here and I hope he chimes in.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Doesn't sound like flour mites. Flour mites are usually smaller than that. My first thought would be drugstore beetles, which are very common in North America. Here are some images:

Image Search Results

Tickle is right about throwing out contaminated grain products, particularly pet food. Two of the last three infestations I have dealt with came from contaminated dog biscuits that had been stuck on the back of a top shelf.

Look into everything for beetles
    Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 04:52 AM

I once found some kind of bug infestation in a client's cupboard (client was not one of the cleanest). Everything in packages that had contained bread, cereal, etc. was full of pupa, adult flying bugs which had eaten up everything in the package. I threw out everything and washed down the cupboards with pinesol. It must have worked. I was diligent at getting every bug out.

Tick
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 09:46 AM

That sounds more like grain moths, tickle. Let me repeat to everybody reading this: Look through EVERYTHING, even dried flowers.
    Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 02:38 PM

It is just so great having a resident pest control expert. Thanks, cats !

You should have seen the size of the ants I had to get rid of after we moved into our l940s house. They were so big I could have named them ! One early morning I watched a whole troop of them marching through the frontroom across the hardwood to the hall closet ! That was years ago, they are gone now but boy, they were scary,

Tick
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    It is just so great having a resident pest control expert. Thanks, cats !

You should have seen the size of the ants I had to get rid of after we moved into our l940s house. They were so big I could have named them ! One early morning I watched a whole troop of them marching through the frontroom across the hardwood to the hall closet ! That was years ago, they are gone now but boy, they were scary,

tick
    A Pennsylvania Carpenter Ant queen runs almost three inches long. That's slightly larger than horrific.
    the eradicator Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 07:01 PM

I always recommend putting all of your food into sealed containers(except canned goods) and cycling it through the deep freezer for 24 hours at a time, if possible and in addition to just looking through everything for infestations. Meanwhile clean out the cupboards and vacuum them out. They will get into anything including spices and other unlikely foods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian Flour vs. American Flour [ 10 Answers ]

What is the difference between Canadian all-purpose bleached flour and American all-purpose bleached flour? All of my baking using American flour comes out dense and heavy. Is there anything I can add to rectify the problem?

Self raising flour v plain flour + baking powder? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm making jam drops with my kids and I only have self raising flour in the pantry can I use it instead of the plain flour and baking powder?

Plain flour vs all purpose flour [ 1 Answers ]

Most of my cake recipes call for plain flour. When I use all purpose flour my cakes do not turn out the way they used to. The cake is not as fluffy as it used to be. Should I add baking powder to the recipes?

Ear mites [ 3 Answers ]

Where do ear mites come from

Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?

View more questions Search