Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 11, 2006, 12:09 AM
    Lawsuit Damages
    I recently won a lawsuit for libel and was awarded both compensatory and punitive damages. I believe that the punitive damages are taxable and the compensatory are not. Is this correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 08:00 AM
    What you said is generally correct.

As long as the compensatory damages are for injury and suffering, they are tax-free. If, however, they are supposed to replace lost income (such as lost wages), then the compensatory damages may be taxable as well.

Nov 11, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert!

How would you define "injury" as it applies here. Is it only physical injury or would it include damage to my professional reputation?

Nov 11, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Never mind...

After looking over some papers that my attorney gave me, I see where he spelled this out for me. Some of the compensatory award is taxable since it was for loss of income from a specific business deal that was lost as a direct result of the libel. The damages for harm to my professional reputation are not taxable.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Great! Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bringing a lawsuit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question as to weather I could actually have a lawsuit against an person where I work, I am not sure under what kind of category it falls under as it is kind of weird. Also the people I work for kind of are afraid I will sue them which leads me to want to know. So.. about a year ago I...

Suing for $5k in auto damages [ 6 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? CA I'm suing a party for roughly $5k in auto damages. They hit me from behind, but claimed it was a hit-and-run. Although I and one other witness (who may not be able to show up in court) saw nothing of the sort. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice...

Do we have a lawsuit case? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Recently my girlfriend was working part time at a place in the mall. One night a secret shopper (mall private investigator) came by as she and another employee were closing leaving the store to go do the deposit for the end of the night, this lady asked to look through there purses. ...

Opinion- Normal Wear or Damages? [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 4-plex in Tennessee. (it is an historic building built in 1915 that consists of 4 one bedroom apts. 2 up and 2 down). So earlier this week a tenant downstairs informed me his ceiling leaks when the tenant above him takes a shower. We went upstairs to look, and sure enough, the floor and...

Lawsuit [ 1 Answers ]

My, now out of business, corporation has been sued by a purveyor and they have obtained a judgement against it. My question is, If the name of the corporation is wrong in the lawsuit, is the judgement binding?

View more questions Search