Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barrybig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 09:41 PM
    1990 honda civic
    My 1990 honda civic with 306000 miles runs good most of the time. Sometimes while I am driving it the car will just qiut and the check engine light will come on. I looked under the carpet on the passenger side and saw a red light blink 15&16 times. What is going on? Sometimes it will start right back up and sometimes it won't. Sometimes when it does start right back up it doesn't run very long till it quits again. Barry
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Congratulations on going 306,000 miles in your Civic! Nice job.

15 blinks is Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 15, Ignition Output Signal. Best bet is that your Ignition Control Module (igniter) inside your distributor is failing. It's pretty easy to replace. I would replace the coil at the same time, due to the mileage on the vehicle. If you do the work yourself, remove the coil first for easier access to the igniter. Remember to apply the enclosed silicone grease on the back of the igniter, before you mount it to the heat sink. It promotes heat transfer. Similarly, lightly coat the 4 male connectors on the igniter with silicone grease.

Here's what igniters look like and cost:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Control%20Unit

16 blinks is DTC 16, Fuel Injector.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15 seconds to reset your computer. Then, start and drive your car to verify which DTC it really is. It's probably DTC 15, based on your description of the symptoms.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 15, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Could it not be the notorious main relay? Just asking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Civic 1.5 DX won't start!HELP! [ 134 Answers ]

OK I recently bought a 1990 honda civic hb 5speed non v-tec... it won't start and if it does it doesn't stay running long at all. Replaced the distributor and put a brand new computer in it... still won't run.. I'm getting spark into the distributor but none out... any ideas? Thanks in advance

1990 Honda Civic fuse problems [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get a 1990 Honda Civic to run. I am looking at the fuse panel under the stearing wheel. There is no cover. I am missing 6 different fuses. I think one of them might be to the fuel pump. Can any one tell me what amp fues goes in each slot, and which one goes to the fuel pump?? Where...

1990 Honda Civic Overheats [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem and I cannot seem to find the solution. I have a 1990 Honda Civic with a 1989 Acura Integra Engine Swap in it, and it overheats. I replaced the thermostat a few weeks - a month ago and replaced coolant. I get heat from the heater in the car. The car will overheat after about 5-10...

1990 Honda Civic won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am totally stumped with this, I have a 1990 Honda Civic with a 1989 Acura Integra Engine in it (Engine Swap), and it won't start. Nothing works, the lights, the radio, hazards, defogger absolutely nothing. Of course your thinking the battery is dead but I checked the battery and it...

1990 Honda Civic DX [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my problem: My engine starts and idles fine. Under acceleration it accelerates up to about 2500 rpm, then the ignition cuts off. When you shift gears you can run it back up to about 2500 rpm again, then it cuts out again. This occurs through all the gears. The check engine light stays on...

View more questions Search