Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adoll Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Broken pipes?
    This problem has been going on for a couple of months and is continuing to worsen...

Our home is a two story and our 2 bathrooms are adjasent to one another (shower heads are on completely different walls) every time someone takes a shower water has started to leak downstairs and now our ceiling is starting to have holes from the water damage... my question is if the pipes are broken or could it be something else? And how much would something like this cost to fix?

Any help would be great!! :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 07:33 PM

Sounds like it only happens when you shower so its not s broken supply. It could be a drain line, shower mixing valve, shower arm or just a bad caulk job. Lets diagnose it. Lets start by chceking for bad caulk job. Get a large bucket and hold it directly under the shower head to catch every drop. Turn the shower on until the bucket is almost full, any water downstairs? Yes means its not the caulk, no means go buy some Dap Kwick Seal Plus. If you do get water we need to remove the handle and escutcheon plate,look inside with a flashlight and tell me where you see water or wetness.

Nov 30, 2009, 08:43 PM

Okay I just tried it and there is no water leaking downstairs, so does that mean I need to buy the Dab Kwick Seal Plus? And is that the glue/seal for water not to go through the cracks?
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Nov 30, 2009, 09:28 PM

Could still be a drain issue. After you filled the bucket, where did you empty it. If you poured it down the drain of the shower, then the drain is most likely OK and you have a bad caulk job, or your grout is deteriorated. If you emptied it elsewhere, then try dumping a bucked down the drain of the shower and see if you get a leak.

Dec 1, 2009, 05:08 PM

dmrlook is correct, we just got past the first step, its not the supply lines, mixing valve or shower arm. Now dump that big buxcket of water into the shower pan without splashing the side wall. If the leak appears then it is a drain leak, we are getting there.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2009, 05:35 PM
    you filled the bucket, where did you empty it. If you poured it down the drain of the shower, then the drain is most likely OK
    I can't quite agree with that statement. I've been monitoring the answers waiting to hear "drain seal rupture".
    While I believe it's leaky grout this is a test that can't be ignored.
    Remove the strainer and plug the drain with a bunch of rags or a balloon blown up in the drain and tied off. Fill the base with a inch of water or so and let stand. Watch for signs of moisture. If you see any you have a ruptured drain seal. If so click on back and tell us about it. Good luck, Tom

Dec 1, 2009, 08:17 PM

Now we are talking about another test that I had not even thought much about. Could be a bad membrane or drain seal but it could be the actual drain pipe itself or the grout. But could be the drain. Tom's suggestion will test out the integrity of the pan and membrane. If you pour the bucket down the drain like in my post #5, pour directly into the drain, no splashing, you will be testing the drain pipe and its connection to the pan. Like Tom, I too am thinking bad grout but sometimes a grout line crack is hard to find so lets eliminate the pan membrane and the drain pipe. We had a very similar post and that OP called a plumber. He told her it was going to run about $95 per hour as he tried different tests trying to track down the problem. We are just trying to save you $95 X infinity.

Dec 2, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I can't quite agree with that statement. I've been monitoring the answers waiting to hear "drain seal rupture".
    Thanks for correcting me. I never thought of a bad seal. I imagine they don't happen often, but it is easier to test for than bad grout.

It would be nice to know the construction of the shower pan, i.e. prefab fiberglass, tile with rubber membrane, tub/shower combo.

Also, I think we are all assuming the shower stall is tiled. Would be nice to know for sure...

Dec 7, 2009, 01:00 AM

Hi guys! And thanks for all your answers I did pour the bucket of water down and there were no leakage

Dec 7, 2009, 01:34 AM
    And it is a tub/shower combo and its not tile I'm guessing its fiberglass kind of plastic? Sorry I should probably ask someone about that! And there are two bathrooms right next to each other upstairs and they are both doing the identical thing
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 06:15 AM

Please make sure your overflow plate is firmly attached against the tub and its washer is in place the way it should be. Also, its intake opening should be facing down, now up.

Dec 7, 2009, 08:32 AM

A fiberglass surround I would think since it is not tile. Is it a one piece, or 3 separate pieces (one for each of the 3 sides). If one piece, then the only caulk I would imagine would be along the base of the wall where it meets the tub. If 3 pieces, then there would also be caulk in the 2 corners. If there is a caulk issue, then these are the areas you would need to inspect and perhaps re-caulk.

Another option is that the seal outside the tub (where the tub meats the floor) is bad and allowing water to contact the ceiling below. Of course that would imply that people exit the tub while dripping wet...
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 7, 2009, 09:01 AM

Both bathrooms are doing the same thing? That's what she stated.

First, to determine if it's a drain seal issue, fill the tub up and then stand in it and let it drain. The weight may be the factor of a drain seal issue.

But both bathrooms?

Where are the showers located (shower head can be on separate walls, but do the shower/tub locations share the same wall?)

Caulking absolutely can be an issue, but this "it happens in both showers" seems important.

I know I am rehashing here, but I am trying to get a clear picture.

Are the water spots/damage in your ceiling below in the same spot, or is there some room in between them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pipes knocking on upper floor, after pipes burst [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - recently, my water pipes froze and burst, flooding my basement. I've had the pipes repaired. Now, when I turn on the hot water in my upstairs (2nd floor) sink, there's a knocking/clunking after I turn the hot water off. Its only the hot water (doesn't do it with cold water). When I...

Inground pool broken pipes under concrete deck [ 3 Answers ]

Inground pool pro How to fix broken pipes under the concrete deck of an inground pool

How to Repaire Broken Pipes inside drywall? [ 4 Answers ]

How to Repaire Broken Pipes inside drywall?

How to Repaire Broken Pipes inside drywall? [ 8 Answers ]

How to Repaire Broken Pipes inside drywall?

Aftermath of Broken Waste pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Just repaired broken castiron pipes under the house and pumped out a lot of grey water. Now as the dirt tends to dry we are having a problem with the smell still! It is a mildue/raw sewage smell. We heard of dropping cat litter down but I wanted some other advise before trying that. Please help!!

View more questions Search