Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mary_Bright Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 04:43 PM
    6 months of beauty then what?
    Hi Guys.

My Pigmentasa Hydroquinone cream came but I've decided not to use it until I've stopped breastfeeding, as it seems real unclear if it enters the breast milk or not. Which is a shame because I really wanted to lighten up! I'm sick of being so bloody dark. When I got pregnant I really darkened up!
    Anyway I was told by one of the experts to only use it for a short period, like 6 months because after that it can cause stretch marks and black skin etc. So I'm thinking, like what's the point:confused:? I'll be light for 6 months or so then I'll return to my dark colour again? SO PLEASE can anyone advise me what I can use to maintain the results of the Hydroquinone once the 6 months period is over? I want to get stocked up now so I'm ready once I've stopped nursing.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mary_Bright View Post
    Hi Guys.

My Pigmentasa Hydroquinone cream came but I've decided not to use it until I've stopped breastfeeding, as it seems real unclear if it enters the breast milk or not. Which is a shame cos I really wanted to lighten up! I'm sick of being so bloody dark. When I got pregnant I really darkened up!
    Anyway I was told by one of the experts to only use it for a short period of time, like 6 months cos after that it can cause stretch marks and black skin etc. So I'm thinking, like what's the point:confused:?! I'll be light for 6 months or so then I'll return to my dark colour again? SO PLEASE can anyone advise me what I can use to maintain the results of the Hydroquinone once the 6 months period is over? I wanna get stocked up now so I'm ready once I've stopped nursing.
    Welcome Mary Bright. About the hydroquinone, it is true to avoid any skin lighteners during pregnancy and breast feeding as there is possibility of it being passed to the child. I have read about how some woman can darken during pregnancy and I have my fingers crossed that it won't happen to me, but who knows since its quite natural for me to have blemishes and hyperpigmentation.

Yes, it is recommended that hydroquinone should be used no more than 6 months, but there are many people who have used it for several years without any problems. Hydroquinone used along with retin-a (tretinoin) will not and can not cause thinned skin or stretch marks. Steroid-based products definitely will thin the skin and cause stretch marks with continued use.

Dec 1, 2009, 11:17 PM
    Hi Golden_Girl, I hope your well and thanks for always being there to answer my questions.

Yes I darkened a lot during pregnancy! And because I'm still breastfeeding I have a feeling I haven't lost this dark Whoopie shade because of the hormones that produce the milk. I wouldn't wish it on anyone! People are cruel out there, making horrible comments about my shade. And this is coming from friends and family! And I can just tell some of them think there SO much better than me right now. I'm hearing things like "you've been spending to much time in the sun", "look how light I am to you", "you look like a native African" Which is a dumb comment because there are many brown native Africans. It's funny because I can remember a few yrs ago after returning from living in Egypt, I was real light because of the water out there and my family were making lovely comments and made me feel real good. Just goes to show I'm not imagining the stigma of being a dark female. I'm like the darkest in my family now.
    I'm happy to hear many people use hydroquinone for yrs and find it OK. I'm not sure if my Pigmentasa has steroids in it because the writing is all in Spanish? I never want to go through this again I'm hoping to find a product that will help me for life.

I may post the following question to the help desk, but I'd like to ask you first if you don't mind. Would you recommend Mequinol over hydroquinone? Do you know anything about it?

Thanks again.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Hi Golden_Girl, I hope your well and thanks for always being there to answer my questions.

Yes I darkened a lot during pregnancy! And because I'm still breastfeeding I have a feeling I haven't lost this dark Whoopie shade because of the hormones that produce the milk. I wouldn't wish it on anyone! People are cruel out there, making horrible comments about my shade. And this is coming from friends and family! And I can just tell some of them think there SO much better than me right now. I'm hearing things like "you've been spending to much time in the sun", "look how light I am to you", "you look like a native African" Which is a dumb comment cos there are many brown native Africans. It's funny because I can remember a few yrs ago after returning from living in Egypt, I was real light because of the water out there and my family were making lovely comments and made me feel real good. Just goes to show I'm not imagining the stigma of being a dark female. I'm like the darkest in my family now.
    I'm happy to hear many people use hydroquinone for yrs and find it OK. I'm not sure if my Pigmentasa has steroids in it cos the writing is all in Spanish?! I never want to go through this again I'm hoping to find a product that will help me for life.

I may post the following question to the help desk, but I'd like to ask you first if you don't mind. Would you recommend Mequinol over hydroquinone? Do you know anything about it?

Thanks again.

Mequinol is just a higher strength of hQ, it works great in removing dark pigmentation, but if you got dark during pregnancy most likely your colour will return in time. COngrats on your baby.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Yeah congrats on your new baby, I can't wait when my turn comes. But the darkening of skin and nothing to use is one of my concerns, but I still can't wait. That's really sad that your fam and friends are being insensitive like that and after you gave birth. For me, I think I would move far from them as I could just to avoid their hurtful comments. Did you tell them how it make you feel? Are you from Egypt? I used to live in Cairo years ago, as well as Khartoum, Sudan. I'm half Ethiopian from my father so I used to live in Ethiopia 2 years back, I'm now in the States.

The field of dermatology seems to favor mequinol/tretinoin (Solage) over hydroquinone, although I have never used mequinol and am currently using 4% hydroquinone/tretinoin. So, the decision is yours, I hear that mequinol has a tendency to sting. But for me hq/ra also stings sometimes. I agree with Lighterrr that it is good for removing dark pigmentation. Although it is a hydroquinone derivative, it isn't a higher strength hydroquinone.

Here are a few of hydroquinone derivatives:
    -Mequinol is the monomethyl ether of hydroquinone.
    -Arbutin (bearberry and mulberry leaf extract) and the synthetic alpha-arbutin are derivatives of hydroquinone.
    -Monobenzone is the monobenzyl ether of hydroquinone. Is a special topical phenolic... Arbutin, which is the b-D-glucopyranoside derivative of hydroquinone

Hydroquinone derivatives also each have different chemical structures and there own IUPAC names.

hydroquinone:
    mequinol: Attachment 27095
    arbutin:Attachment 27094
    monobenzone: Attachment 27093

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15605971
    "A significantly higher proportion (P < or = .05) of subjects achieved clinical success with mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% compared with HQ 3% as measured by both the lesional pigmentation on the forearm and the physician global assessment at the end of treatment. The proportion of subjects achieving clinical success on the face in the mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% group was consistently higher than that in the HQ 3% group."

"In all treatment groups, skin-related adverse events were mild or moderate and transient. In conclusion, the mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% solution is a highly effective and well-tolerated treatment for solar lentigines and related hyperpigmented lesions ("age spots" or "liver spots"), being superior to HQ 3% for lesions on the forearm and of similar efficacy for lesions on the face."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15551721
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mequinol
    http://d.wanfangdata.com.cn/NSTLQK_NSTL_QK8406721.aspx
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15551721
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroquinone
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutin
    beautifulskin Posts: 143, Reputation: 5

Dec 2, 2009, 08:59 PM

Mary I can sympathize with you because the same thing happened to me and it can take a real toll on your confidence.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulskin View Post
    Mary I can sympathize with you because the same thing happened to me and it can take a real toll on your confidence.
    How did your people treat and say to you? How did you deal with the treatment?
    beautifulskin Posts: 143, Reputation: 5

Dec 3, 2009, 12:00 AM

Golden I used a skin whitener.

Feb 9, 2010, 12:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Welcome Mary Bright. About the hydroquinone, it is true to avoid any skin lighteners during pregnancy and breast feeding as there is possibility of it being passed to the child. I have read about how some woman can darken during pregnancy and I have my fingers crossed that it wont happen to me, but who knows since its quite natural for me to have blemishes and hyperpigmentation.

Yes, it is recommended that hydroquinone should be used no more than 6 months, but there are many people who have used it for several years without any problems. Hydroquinone used along with retin-a (tretinoin) will not and can not cause thinned skin or stretch marks. Steroid-based products definitely will thin the skin and cause stretch marks with continued use.
    Sorry for my late reply. I was away and so busy! Thanks yep my babe is a blessing to me. Thanks for your reply.

Feb 9, 2010, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Yeah congrats on your new baby, I can't wait whn my turn comes. But the darkening of skin and nothing to use is one of my concerns, but I still can't wait. That's really sad that your fam and friends are being insensitive like that and after you gave birth. For me, I think I would move far from them as I could just to avoid their hurtful comments. Did you tell them how it make you feel? Are you from Egypt? I used to live in Cairo years ago, as well as Khartoum, Sudan. I'm half Ethiopian from my father so I used to live in Ethiopia 2 years back, I'm now in the States.

The field of dermatology seems to favor mequinol/tretinoin (Solage) over hydroquinone, although I have never used mequinol and am currently using 4% hydroquinone/tretinoin. So, the decision is yours, I hear that mequinol has a tendency to sting. But for me hq/ra also stings sometimes. I agree with Lighterrr that it is good for removing dark pigmentation. Although it is a hydroquinone derivative, it isn't a higher strength hydroquinone.

Here are a few of hydroquinone derivatives:
    -Mequinol is the monomethyl ether of hydroquinone.
    -Arbutin (bearberry and mulberry leaf extract) and the synthetic alpha-arbutin are derivatives of hydroquinone.
    -Monobenzone is the monobenzyl ether of hydroquinone. is a special topical phenolic ... Arbutin, which is the b-D-glucopyranoside derivative of hydroquinone

Hydroquinone derivatives also each have different chemical structures and there own IUPAC names.

hydroquinone:
    mequinol: Attachment 27095
    arbutin:Attachment 27094
    monobenzone: Attachment 27093

Mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% solution: an effective... [Cutis. 2004] - PubMed result
    "A significantly higher proportion (P < or = .05) of subjects achieved clinical success with mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% compared with HQ 3% as measured by both the lesional pigmentation on the forearm and the physician global assessment at the end of treatment. The proportion of subjects achieving clinical success on the face in the mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% group was consistently higher than that in the HQ 3% group."

"In all treatment groups, skin-related adverse events were mild or moderate and transient. In conclusion, the mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% solution is a highly effective and well-tolerated treatment for solar lentigines and related hyperpigmented lesions ("age spots" or "liver spots"), being superior to HQ 3% for lesions on the forearm and of similar efficacy for lesions on the face."

Safety and efficacy of combined use of 4-hydroxyan... [Cutis. 2004] - PubMed result
    Mequinol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Mequinol 2%/tretinoin 0.01% solution: an effective and safe alternative to hydroquinone 3% in the treatment of solar lentigines.
    Safety and efficacy of combined use of 4-hydroxyan... [Cutis. 2004] - PubMed result
    Hydroquinone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Arbutin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sorry for the very late reply, I was away and very busy. No I'm not Egyptian, although my baby is half Egyptian. I am from the Caribbean although I was born in the UK. Thank you for your informed reply to my question, I'm thinking to buy Mequinol and use it in the area's only I can see and am not to worried about, just to test it out. You must be very pretty being hslf Ethiopian, those people are beautiful.
    ooosnowhite Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 05:01 AM
    Hi Guys.

My Pigmentasa Hydroquinone cream came but I've decided not to use it until I've stopped breastfeeding, as it seems real unclear if it enters the breast milk or not. Which is a shame cos I really wanted to lighten up! I'm sick of being so bloody dark. When I got pregnant I really darkened up!
    Anyway I was told by one of the experts to only use it for a short period of time, like 6 months cos after that it can cause stretch marks and black skin etc. So I'm thinking, like what's the point:confused:?! I'll be light for 6 months or so then I'll return to my dark colour again? SO PLEASE can anyone advise me what I can use to maintain the results of the Hydroquinone once the 6 months period is over? I wanna get stocked up now so I'm ready once I've stopped nursing.
    hun... i would advise to stay away from HQ.. try BIO or some kojic acid based products. I learnt my lesson early with HQ. it just makes me black and soo much dead skin!!! goodluck

Feb 17, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ooosnowhite View Post
    hun... i would advise to stay away from HQ.. try BIO or some kojic acid based products. I learnt my lesson early with HQ. it just makes me black and soo much dead skin!!! goodluck
    Really? Oh goodness how long did it take for you to notice it was making you daker? And if you don't mind what are you using now? Thanks

Feb 17, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Really?! Oh goodness how long did it take for you to notice it was making you daker? And if you don't mind what are you using now? Thanks
    hun I personally try to stay away from HQ... it just doesn't work for me!!!! plus when you stop it makes you super dark:eek:, for me i just went black.... with extra skin... it was a pain reviving myself. Now my complexion

all i would advice is use something plant extract base (it works for me very well), all other causes temp result wit new problems) please, esp. when if you decide to get preggie again...its safer at least.

i cannot advise you on a specific brand as i wouldn't want you thinking i am endorsing any products.

i have tried and test tooooo many products out there... and only very few things used in the right MIX work... each and everyone 1of us reacts differently.

kindly do your research and get back looking hot! goooodluck:o

Feb 17, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Sorry for the very late reply, I was away and very busy. No I'm not Egyptian, although my baby is half Egyptian. I am from the carribean although I was born in the UK. Thank you for your informed reply to my question, I'm thinking to buy Mequinol and use it in the area's only I can see and am not to worried about, just to test it out. You must be very pretty being hslf Ethiopian, those people are beautiful.
    please becareful with Mequinol... i read too many scary stuff..... keep us posted please

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 (1 semester) + OPT (2 months) + H1b visa (3 months), how to file Taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I came on F1 visa and graduated in May 2008 (studied 1 semester in 2008) then I started my job as a physical therapist on OPT base for 2 months and I got H1b visa and worked 3 more months in 2008, 1) how do I file taxes? 2) which things do I have keep in mind while I file taxes? Fairly new...

Lived in NJ 10 months Moved to NYC Staten Island for 2 months while working in NYC [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have lived in New Jersey and worked in Manhattan for the past few years. Now I have moved from New Jersey to Staten Island NY but still own my home in New Jersey. Do I fill out NY state taxes as a partial resident for 2009? Also next year when I file will I have residency in 2 states or...

Live in NJ, in 2008 worked 6 months in NJ, 6 months in NY for the same employer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file NY state tax, which form Ineed to provide to support partial year

No menstrual cycles after giving birth 16 months ago and weaning 2 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

I gave birth in July 2007 and nursed my son until the middle of September 2008. Unlike after I gave birth to my daughter 5 years ago, I did not resume my menstrual cycles as I continued to nurse my son and would only have a few days of spotting. Now, it has been 2 months since I totally weaned...

Bleeding 3 months straight after depo shot 4 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

The birth control shot I got was supposed to be good for 3 months. I got it 4 months ago, so I realize it should have worn off by now. Everything was fine for the 1st month, but for the past 3 MONTHS, I my vagina has continually been bleeding. After it had been doing this for 3 weeks I called to...

View more questions Search