Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kloklo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
    trial balance
    is it possible for depreciation expense- building and accumulated depreciation building (the same one) to have a different $value and be correct? For example my accum dep. Had a credit balance of 100 and then after calculating the dep. Exp of 150 I made an entry : dep exp. 150 debited, and accum dep 150 credited. After posting it to the trial balance the only way it can still balance is when I have a debit of 150 and credit of 150+previous 100, is that the correct way of solving it?:confused:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2006, 09:55 PM
    What?

Here is what I THINK you are saying. If I am off base in my assumptions, please clarify.

2005: Had total Depreciation of $100

Now, 2006:
    Dr. Depreciation Expense 150
    Cr. Accum Depreciation 150

So Total Accum Depreciation is 100 from year 1, 150 fro this year, next year maybe it will be another 400 to make it a total of 650.

Is that what you are saying?

In which case, all you do is
    Dr. Depreciation Expense 150
    Cr. Accum Depreciation 150

And then you are done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prepare a Correct Trial Balance. [ 4 Answers ]

Dear AskMeHelpDesk Community ! This is my first post ever since I found this site is so helpful for everything which I concern. Thanks for everyone who has been contributing to this community. Actually I can do most of my accounting homeworks, I can do the journal, ledger, prepare the trial...

Trial balance [ 3 Answers ]

I have this question about a trial balance, every time I try to balance it I come with debits 42,110 and credits 42,390. I really do not enjoy trial balances and my teacher has not explained one in class yet, but it is in my homework. The subtractions and additions are my attempts to balance them...

One more trial balance question [ 1 Answers ]

never mind I solved it, while asking the question, sorry The Julien Hotel opened for business on May 1, 2007. Here is its trial balance before adjustment on May 31. JULIEN HOTEL Trial Balance May 31, 2007 DEBITS Cash $ 2,500 Prepaid Insurance 1,800 Supplies 2,600

Need help with balancing unadjusting trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I need help with this trial balance. I have tried to balance it after adjusting it, but it just wouldn't balance in the end for me. Can someone please help me out. Cash (debit) 4200 Prepaid insurance (debit) ...

Post closing trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

Is this how I do the post closing trial balance? Cash debit 6695 Accounts rec debit 1000 Supplies debit 1320 Prepaid rent debit 1650 Prepaid insurance debit 1650 Office equipment debit 9000 Accumulated depreciation credit 250 Accounts payable credit 900

View more questions Search