Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Nov 30, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Are all raw meats safe for dogs and cats?
    Are all raw meats safe for dogs and cats? I would like to try to incorporate some raw meats again into their regular diets and I was wondering if there are certain parts of poultry or cows that I should stay away from?
    Are there any suggestions - to feed them, to start with - for beginners? i.e. chicken necks? Giblets? And what about the blood? Do I rinse the meat first? Is there any chance that there would be side effects... i.e. diarrhea, stomach pain? Thanks.:confused:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2009, 10:45 AM

If you suddenly change or add to a dogs diet then there is always to risk or either diarrhoea or constipation, the latter if feeding raw bones.

Mine get chicken necks but only in moderation to avoid constipation (only 1 a day) I find them to be an easy way to add raw meat and bone to a dogs diet and very cheap.
    Just make sure you monitor your dog while they are eating as they can swallow them whole and choke, I would recommend starting giving smaller cut portions to find out if they are going to gulp it down or try to chew it.

Red meat can be given in the form of mince, I use either lamb or beef personally but we also have kangaroo and possum available (not so much in the USA haha)
    I buy the pet-grade stuff which also includes ground bone and organs.

I have never been a fan of a completely raw diet, I like to still give mine their kibble and canned, the meat is just as a bit of extra flavor or as a treat, it's personal preference though, it's just easier knowing that the pre-packaged food is completely balanced nutritionally.
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Nov 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    If you suddenly change or add to a dogs diet then there is always to risk or either diarrhoea or constipation, the latter if feeding raw bones.

Mine get chicken necks but only in moderation to avoid constipation (only 1 a day) I find them to be an easy way to add raw meat and bone to a dogs diet and very cheap.
    Just make sure you monitor your dog while they are eating as they can swallow them whole and choke, I would recommend starting off giving smaller cut portions to find out if they are going to gulp it down or try to chew it.

Red meat can be given in the form of mince, I use either lamb or beef personally but we also have kangaroo and possum available (not so much in the USA haha)
    I buy the pet-grade stuff which also includes ground bone and organs.

I have never been a fan of a completely raw diet, I like to still give mine their kibble and canned, the meat is just as a bit of extra flavor or as a treat, it's personal preference though, it's just easier knowing that the pre-packaged food is completely balanced nutritionally.
    Thanks again! :) I think I will start with one little section ?vertebrae? - not sure of the exact term... and see how it affects her. Yes, if it agrees with her (my fingers are crossed) then it will also be additionally to her diet, because of all of the issues she has and so as to not disturb or cause any upsets as she is "stable" now.
    What is your opinion about the blood? Do you rinse everything or do you allow them to lick any blood?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2009, 11:02 AM

I don't rinse them, but the ones I buy from the supermarket are already washed at the factory so it depends where you get them from really.
    There is always a little blood mixed with water in the bottom of the bag but I don't worry about it, I just put it all in an empty ice cream tub in the bottom of the refrigerator.

I haven't had to cut any up for a while but when I did I just got a pair of kitchen shears and chopped them up into 3 or 4 pieces.

What issues has she had with her food?
    Mom has a Great Dane at the moment who is having some food issues, no matter what she feeds he gets an upset stomach, he ended up having problems with enzymes in his stomach, she has since been adding an enzyme powder to his food and he is doing great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs and cats! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old cat and she is very shy around other pets. I am getting a dog. What type of puppy should I get?

Dogs and cats [ 4 Answers ]

Someone sent this to me in my email and I had to share. DOG DIARY 8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing! 9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing! 9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing! 10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing! 12:00 PM - Lunch! My favorite...

Keeping your dogs/cats safe at christmas [ 9 Answers ]

1. No rich foods... gravy, candies, nuts can cause huge problems... remember not to leave food items wraped under the tree. As you know Fido/ Fefe has a great sense of smell. 2. Anchor your tree, a eye hook bolted to the wall or ceiling , with fishing line is a sure fire way to keep treesfrom...

Cats and Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I happened to see my ex (who dumped me a month and a half ago) today, and also my cat who ran away a long time ago. It suddenly hit me that I like cats. They aren't very nice or affectionate, they expect you to do all the work (like a dog), and they're just so proud... My cat has become so skinny...

Dogs, cats, horses et al [ 8 Answers ]

I don't have any qualifications per se. My only claim to fame over the last few years and having reached the age of 65, that is at least a few, was and is and always will be healthy happy well excersed dogs; dogs that are real walkers because I am too. I don't have a specific breed I have...

View more questions Search