Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silver-hero Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Finastride
    By the way I am about to take a medicine called FINASTRIDE 1MG if I am not wrong.
    It is said that it will reduce the activity of the testostron hormone.
    But it is also said that it will make you a little weak of sexual desires and difference in amount of the semen.
    So don't you think taking that would hurt my sexual ability for future in long time use?
    Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 10, 2006, 05:16 PM
    I am assuming that you are taking it for male pattern baldness by the 1mg prescribed.

The side effects include impotence, decreased libido, and decreased amount of ejaculate.

Now, understand, that these side effects have been reported in numbers, but do not affect all people who take the med.

Understand that you may have decreased urinary flow until your body reaches therapeutic levels.

If you have anyone in your home who is currently pregnant, or plans on becoming pregnant, she should not touch crushed tablets or come into contact with your semen, as this can cause adverse affects a developing male fetus.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Nov 15, 2006, 10:12 PM
    That's a real "Catch - 22", isn't it? You take Finastride to keep your hair so you'll be more attractive to the ladies - then the side effects can make you not even want to be with a woman!! :rolleyes: Seriously, finastride (Propecia) works wonders in many (but not all) men and can reduce or possibly reverse hair loss. Heck, I use it myself and am pleased with the results. There are side effects as you have listed (and more) - but these occur in a very small number of patients and usually clear up either while still on the medicine or go away when the medicine is stopped.

As J_9 has stated, it is recommended that any fertile woman of child-bearing age should not take the medication or touch the crushed tablets and there is even some debate as to whether you should impregnate a woman while on the tablets - but not all doctors agree. See this link... http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newslett...rticle&sid=255

The really serious problem is that finastride can artificially lower your PSA level and could mask early detection of a developing prostate cancer. In other words, you could have prostate cancer with "normal" PSA levels. Your physicians should all be aware that you are on this medicine and they should consider this possible "side effect" when checking PSA levels... See this link:
    http://www.healthsquare.com/NEWRX/pro1355.htm

Hope this helps...

PS - if you have plenty of money, most ladies don't care about your hair... ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finastride [ 2 Answers ]

By the way I am about to take a medicine called FINASTRIDE 1MG if I am not wrong. It is said that it will reduce the activity of the testostron hormone. But it is also said that it will make you a little weak of sexual desires and difference in amount of the semen. So don't you think taking...

View more questions Search