Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davekuzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 08:33 PM
    How to tell a 220v line
    How can I tell if an electrical line going from an outside subpnel/breaker box to an outdoor spa blower is a 120v 0r 220v line?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2009, 08:35 PM

The best way is to use a voltmeter to test the voltage between the contacts. There are also color codes. If it was wired correctly, the neutral should be white. That is an indication that the circuit would be a 110 V circuit. If both conductors are non-white (Black, Blue, or Red, for example), it's an indication of a 220V line.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Nov 30, 2009, 12:56 AM
    You can also look in the panelboard and see if the line is fed by a two pole breaker.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by davekuzo View Post
    how can i tell if an electrical line going from an outside subpnel/breaker box to an outdoor spa blower is a 120v 0r 220v line?
    A tester is the ONLY way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110v timer on 220v hwh line ? [ 1 Answers ]

Will installing a 110v timer on one leg of a 220v line to the hwh work?

Trying to connect 220v 3phase lathe to 220v dryer outlet. [ 12 Answers ]

I want to connect a 220v 3 phase lathe (2hp Baldor motor 2 pole plug with ground) to a 220v 3 wire dryer wall outlet. The lathe plug has black, white and green wires. The dryer outlet is black, white and red. I want to make an extension cord with 12/3 wire, male dryer plug on one end and female...

Connecting new 220V line & tapping off a 110V outlet. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 220V outlet on the outside of my garage, originally intended to power 220v compressors, welders, etc. I am installing a well not far from this outlet, which needs 220V and I want to run a line from the outlet (underground) line to the pump. How do I do the connections to the pump and can I...

220V 20A breaker avail in slim-line configuration? [ 11 Answers ]

I need to make room in my shop sub panel for another circuit. There is one 20A 220v breaker that takes up two 1" locations in the box (typical fat 220V breaker). Seems to me I could replace this with a slim-line double pole 20A breaker. I think these are sometimes called peanut breakers. I found a...

View more questions Search