Septic gas coming up out of washing machine
    Karen Craig Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 05:22 PM

Septic gas coming up through washing machine
    Karen Craig Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Craig View Post
    septic gas coming up through washing machine
    What could be causing septic gas to be coming up in my washing machine?
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Nov 29, 2009, 09:11 PM

Typically nothing as a washing machine does not have a hard connection to the plumbing system in a house. So I suspect the smell is not literally coming up trough the washing machine but through a pipe that is in the laundry room. Do you have a floor drain in the laundry room, or perhaps a water tray with a drain under the washer? It is possible that the water in the trap has evaporated allowing the sewer gases to escape. If this is the case, the fix is simple - pour a few cups of water down the drain to refill the trap. You may need to repeat this every month or so. Hope this helps.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 11:33 PM

Do you have a trap at washing machine at all ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correctional grade plumbing how different from commercial plumbing or residential [ 3 Answers ]

Just need a little information about the difference to answer a questioner .

Plumbing [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I just had done some work in my bathroom but now when I turned hot water in kitchen then no hot water in bath and sink upstairs ,please help Thanks

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

Need to replace pipe running from tub to sewer line. Line is currently metal which is deteriorating and causing structural damage. Line is approximately 12 in straight into sewer. What is best method to remove damaged line and replace with pvc or metal. Thanks

Plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

I've Just Had A Kohler Vessel Sink Installed That Has No Overflow. Also Installed A Delta Faucet And Drain. The Sink Will Not Drain Until You Swirl The Water Around Where The Drain Gets Air. Called Kohler, And Of Course They Said It Needed A Kohler Drain. Called Delta.. they Said This Drain Won't...

Plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

Help kitchen faucet- water willnot come through spigot I replaced washers, when water was turned on would not flow through faucet what do I need to do now?

View more questions Search