Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksorenson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Can a tenant take the fence from rental property
    Tenant put up a fence on rental property. They are moving out. Can they take the fence with them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 03:11 PM

What was the agreement with the landlord when they put it up.

Will they return the property to perfect condition, fill up the post holes, replant the grass ?

It can be argued both ways in law, a fence once in he ground is assumed part of the property,

But if they renter leaves it, the landlord could also change him against the deposit to remove it, unless it was specificlly allowed in writing.

So a lot more details on when it was put up, permission to put up and what type of fense
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2009, 03:16 PM

If they return the property to the exact condition it was in then they can take it. If not, then they can be charged for restoring the property.

In some places, capital improvements become the property of the property owner
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2009, 03:40 PM

Anything like a tree planted by a tenant automoatically becomes a "fixture" to the land. I don't see the fence being anything other than a "fixture" to the land and the tenant should not be able to take it with them. Same as with flowers and plants. Once in the ground they belong to the landlord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor says my fence on his property [ 7 Answers ]

I have lived in my home for almost 20 years, the house was built in 1986. My property was surrounded by wooded area originally until recently, owners are trying to secion off the land parcels to build sincle family homes. I had land all around me up until 2 years ago, then a house was built next to...

My neighbor says that our fence is three feet onto his property [ 15 Answers ]

My neighbor clames that out fence is three feet onto his property and he plans to move it. The fence had been up for over thiry years. After a certain amount of time does the fence define the property line or will I need to have the property serveyed to settle this dispute?

Neighboring rental bushes are taking over my side of the fence [ 5 Answers ]

I have a chain link fence separating my duplex home and a four unit rental. I spent a lot of time in the past making the area right next to my chain link fence quite nice planting flowers and plants (nothing bushy that could poke out on my neighbor's property). The owner of the rental does not...

View more questions Search