Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Daughter in law problem
    Visited my son and daughter in law in another state. They just had a new baby. I had asked them if the dates were okay for them and they replied yes. My husband didn't go due to recent surgery. I was there for 2 1/2 days and 2 nites. My son cooked supper the first night. That same night my daughter in law suggested we go out to celebrate my sons birthday (which was coming up in a couple of weeks) the following night. I agreed. Suggested I buy a cake. She went halfers. Had a nice supper I paid. I brought a suitcase full of gifts (had sent a boxful of gifts when the baby was born)... christmas and some things for the 2 year old and new baby. DIL went to get hair cut and out for lunch with a friend. Son and I went out to check on a project once she arrived home. I was asked if I would be there for supper. Had sent my itinerary and they knew what time my flight left (after supper). Upon arrival back no preparation was made for supper... again I was asked about supper. My DIL is a very well organized person. My son prepared supper. My question is this should I have said something to my son? I don't want to cause any problems. I was rather ticked as some preparation/planning and special effort could have been made prior to my arrival. I wasn't going to take them out for supper again. I really enjoy seeing the 2 yr old and the new baby but I would like to be treated better than this. I hadn't seen them since April when we flew up there.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2009, 01:50 PM
    I'm sorry, but I have a feeling you may be overreacting.

You're annoyed because supper wasn't prepared by your DIL?

Perhaps your DIL wanted to allow you and your son some time together, or she was tired, or because they have a new baby they had forgotten.

Unless there is something else going on that you haven't talked about in your post, I think you should cut her some slack - and yourself too. It's not worth getting upset about!
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Nov 29, 2009, 02:03 PM
    I personally know both my mother and my mother-in-law would have offered to help cook. I am sure they believed you were visiting because you wanted to be there and you wanted to spend time with them. Try to remember what the visit was about, spending time with them, seeing the babies and being a family. When you or they worry about what you are owed or deserve, it will create unnecessary friction. Congratulations on your grandchildren!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with daughter in law problem [ 75 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 19 month granddaughter that I dearly love and I love to spend time with her. The time I get to spend with her seems to me, is the time left over after everyone else. I have made plans for special outings on several occasions only to have them canceled at the last minute. If...

Can I ask my daughter-in-law-to-be what is wrong? [ 16 Answers ]

After my son's 4th relationship the girl he is going to finally marry is a lovely girl and I love her very much. He has been going with her for 3 years. Just lately, however, (possibly in the last year) she seems to ignore me or has no regard for me when the family are together. My husband and...

Old car accident -- continuing problem for my daughter [ 4 Answers ]

When my daughter was 8 we were involved in a major car accident where a car crossed the median and hit our vehicle head on at high speed. It was a cut and dry case as to it being her fault. 2 of my 4 kids were severely injured. My daughter is now 23. Her arm had tremendous soft tissue damage...

View more questions Search