Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chio1944 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 12:47 PM
    What causes of large bubble when toilet flushed
    When I flush my upstairs toilet, which is located directly behind the other toilet (which is an identical toilet & works fine), separated only by wall, a large bubble of air erupts from the drain hole of the toilet and then the toilet proceeds to flush very poorly. I have tried dumping a 5 gallon can of water into the toilet and it drains as fast as I can pour into the bowl. However, when I tried flushing the toilet immediately after that I once again got the air bubble. Any help would be appreciated.
    artworkrequest Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 01:14 PM

Check the vent pipe, you may need a separate one.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2009, 03:41 PM

I doubt very much that it's your vent pipe. Bubbles indicate a blow back caused by a partial blockage. Let me explain what's happening. You flush the john, The discharge bangs into the partial clog in the line and starts to rebound back pushing a bubble of air ahead of it. That's when you see your bubble. It also impedes the siphon action which gives you a weak flush.
    The solution would be to pull the upstairs toilet and snake the drain. Use a new wax seal when you replace the bowl. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Large burping bubbles from toilet when flushed [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a rental property I have been working on and have a problem with the toilet. When the fella who was living there moved out he said that the toilet was not flushing properly, he was right. It would swirl very weakly and every now and then it would barely flush all the way. It...

Toilet burps BIG BUBBLE when flushed! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, The upstairs toilet was not flushing properly so I called a repair man. I was not here when he came, but I talked to him on the phone. The repair receipt said it was a clogged primary jet, which I am assuming is the large hole at the base of the bowl inside where the liquids, etc. flush out....

Large bubble in toilet when we flush [ 2 Answers ]

We have just recently moved into a 1400 sq ft apartment in Raleigh North Carolina. Both toilets started giving us trouble right away. They would flush paper OK but not poo and both toilets bubbled, something we have never seen before. We called the apartment office and maintenance has been in to...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Bubble, bubble, toilet trouble! [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 2 bath home, ranch style. The toilet and shower in the master are fine, as is the kitchen sink and the laundry room. In the main bath, my toilet won't drain, when plunged out it backs into the tub drain. Also, when I run the water in the tub, it makes the toilet bubble. Same thing...

View more questions Search