Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shulta44 Posts: 97, Reputation: 4

Nov 29, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Toilet leaking into basement
    I currently have a problem with my toilet leaking into the basement(it runs down the side of the pipe). It does not leak onto the floor at all, just the underside of the floor. I have replaced the wax rings before(not on this toilet yet) What I am finding in this house is the bathroom was done just before we moved in and instead of gutting the room, they went over everything. Could it be that they raised the toilet too high with the addition of the extra tile? I plan on taking it up today, or should I hold off for an expert? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    shulta44
    robanderin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 10:00 AM

It could be a few thgings.If they retiled over the floor your flange ring is more than likley lower than the floor (should at least be level. )
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Nov 29, 2009, 08:56 PM
    I saw this is my house. Tile raised the finished level of the floor about an inch above the flange. It never lead to a leak the 5 years I was here, and there is no evidence of a leak the 18 years prior to me living here. When I redid the bathroom, I used 3 wax rings as was done when the toilet was installed more than 20 years ago. Perhaps you can do the same if a bad seal is in fact your issue. While this is probably not an ideal solution, it seems to have worked for me for what it is worth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water still leaking from toilet bowl.after replacing toilet! [ 6 Answers ]

The water was leaking from the bowl of our toilet and we were getting "phantom flushes"... water was also seen trickling into bowl... SO, we replaced the whole toilet as it was pretty darn old. We put in a new wax ring, installed the toilet correctly as far as we can tell... and now the water leaks...

Difference between standard toilet and basement floor toilet [ 23 Answers ]

I need to know the difference of a basement floor toilet and standard one so I can order it! How do I measure the rough in without takg the toilet off the floor right now?

Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out...

Toilet leaking into basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my toilet leaking from my toilet into my basement. I replaced the wax ring, and noticed that the 2 mounting bolts were very loose. The floor is very wet. What is the direction I should go in? Any help would be very helpful

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

View more questions Search