Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gabrielgraay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Not on lease, would like to move out?
    When my friends asked me to move to this apartment, I did so without thinking too much about doing so. I didn't know them too well, I had only really hung out with them a few times. But I was desperate to be an adult, so whatever. Of course, I realized how much I hated them within the first week of spending every moment together. My girlfriend eventually moved with me, but she hates it as much as I do.

I was never put on the lease, and I have been living here for five months now. My girlfriend's family has hit hard times and she will most likely have to move back home to help out. I don't want to live here with the people I can't stand without her.

I was wondering if I have any legal obligation to them at all, considering I was never put on the lease. Do I HAVE to give them any sort of extended notice? Can I get in trouble if I were to go to the leasing office and tell them I've lived here for five months?

It should also probably be noted that there is no proof that I have ever lived here. All of my mail is sent to my father's house, and I have always paid rent in cash. I found some stuff that they printed that I suppose they were going to get around to having me sign- papers stating that I agree to give two months notice when moving out- however, I never signed them.
    dnaakrs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0
    -

Nov 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
    I do not think that you would have any legal obligation to them and actually you should legally not be living there. I would pay anything owed on my part of the bills just to show honesty and good character and tell them you are moving. You do not necessarily need to tell them why you are moving unless you just want to. You could just say, "it's a personal matter and nothing to do with them". Actually most rental lease agreements I have had has required me to list any guests, family or not that would be staying for more than a week and the estimated stay of their visit. This is one way that a landloard may protect their property and keep an army from moving into what was originally supposed to be 1 tenant. I don't see how you have stayed that long without being caught. In a nutshell: you are not legally bound to stay, you may have been staying illegal in the first place. So just pack your stuff and go. Good luck. Remember... this is my opinion only along with some personal experience.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielgraay View Post
    I was wondering if I have any legal obligation to them at all, considering I was never put on the lease. Do I HAVE to give them any sort of extended notice?
    Hello gabe:

They are your landlords and you are their month to month tenant. You only have to give them 30 days written notice.

I wouldn't bring their landlord into it. It's only going to cause them trouble and not going to help you at all.

excon
    dnaakrs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0
    -

Nov 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dnaakrs View Post
    I do not think that you would have any legal obligation to them and actually you should legally not be living there. I would pay anything owed on my part of the bills just to show honesty and good character and tell them you are moving. You do not neccesarily need to tell them why you are moving unless you just want to. You could just say, "it's a personal matter and nothing to do with them". Actually most rental lease agreements I have had has required me to list any guests, family or not that would be staying for more than a week and the estimated stay of their visit. This is one way that a landloard may protect their property and keep an army from moving into what was originally supposed to be 1 tenant. I don't see how you have stayed that long without being caught. In a nutshell: you are not legally bound to stay, you may have been staying illegal in the first place. So just pack your stuff and go. Good luck. Remember...this is my opinion only along with some personal experience.
    Touche' JKT... mmm... an eye for an eye? I plainly stated opinion only and some personal experience. I gave no legal advice. What is wrong w/ people here?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dnaakrs View Post
    What is wrong w/ ppl here?
    Hello d:

We guard our board. If you were in trouble and you needed the RIGHT INFO in order to make some life altering decisions, you'd appreciate that the people who answered you weren't just giving their opinions.

excon
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 03:12 PM

What's wrong dnaakr's is that your opinion has no place on a law board. The OP asked about a legal issue and giving your opinion was out of place as it does them no good from a legal standpoint.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 03:21 PM

I agree with the posters above. The OP is asking a legal question on the law page, no room for someone expressing their opinions. Although this was clearly an opinion this poster said "you are not legally bound to stay, you may have been staying illegal in the first place. So just pack your stuff and go." In fact the original OP is legally a tenant and must give notice, not my opinion but fact of law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to move out but I am in a lease for one year [ 5 Answers ]

Its kind of long situation. I will try to make it short. I have three kids and my husband well we moved in this apt in march and the landlord isn't fair to us the man downstairs has a son with her and he has a pool which we aren't allowed to use let alone the attic or basement for storage she says...

I am not on the lease can I move out? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in jan and have been sharing room with few guys, when I came here I told them I am going to stay here temporarily and move out he agreed since then I have been paying all the rent and utilities he also took 200$ deposit from me, now I want to shift to some other place he is not...

TAA lease move-out dispute [ 2 Answers ]

I have been at my apartments for a year now and my lease is supposed to end on November 13, 2007. I signed the TAA lease agreement in October 2006 knowing that I would move-out when the lease ends. To make a long story short, I put my 30 day notice in, assuming it was 30 days, but then I find out...

Asking someone to move out of apartment not on lease [ 5 Answers ]

My friend's boyfriend is asking her to move out of the apartment by the end of the day. Giving her less than one day's notice. She is not on the lease but pays half the rent (Cash). This is in Pennsylvania. People are telling me that they have to give her 30 days notice is this true. She has...

NJ - Lease Break before Move In [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I signed 1 year lease for an apartment unit on March 10, 2007. I was suppose to move in on April 1st, but I sent a lease break notice on March 20, 2007 as my work location was changed. I have paid for April rent and looks like the until will not be rented for few months. I requested the...

View more questions Search