Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guineapigging Posts: 16, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 27, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Foreign measurements?
    I have a recipe in which I must measure grams and cc's.

First, what is a cc? What is a gram?

Second, how do I measure a gram and a cc?

Thanks
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2009, 08:56 PM

1 cc - 1 cubic centimeter. It's a unit of volume. 5 cc is roughly 1 tsp.

The gram is a measure of mass. There are 453 grams per pound.

You can use Google to do the conversions for you

Let me google that for you - grams to pounds

Let me google that for you - cc to tsp

By the way, the metric system is used in the United States -- at least in laboratories. It's also taught in schools. It's not really "foreign".
    mathwiz3502 Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 05:00 PM

Since one is weight and the other is volume then we need what substance the recipe calls for
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 11:51 PM

The recipe should be taking care of that itself. My recipes (not metric) say they want 8 ounces of water (weight) or 1 cup of chopped celery (volume). If it gives it in weight, it's weight. If it gives it in volume, it's volume. Some things can be measured either way (1 cup of water).
    guineapigging Posts: 16, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 29, 2009, 10:19 AM

Thank you for all your answers!

Mathwiz- I need 300 grams of crushes seeds, 250 cc of petroleum ether, 225cc of wood alcohol, plus a lot of other stuff with measurements I already know. Its not so much a recipe as an experiment.
    mathwiz3502 Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 04:15 PM
    measure those items in any measuring cup
    1ml=1 cubic centimeter
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 08:10 AM

I never had to solve problems with 'ounces', 'feet', 'gallons' at school. I only have the metric system. Saves you from learning the factor conversions for example from inches to feet. I find the metric system very 'user-friendly' as there are only multiples of 10.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 09:27 AM

OK, what do you do for estimating. A foot is about the size of an adult foot, you you can pace distances out to get a rough measurement.

An inch is about the distance from you knuckle to the up.

Small numbers for something's are easy to work with. e.g. women's measurements of breast size-waist size and hip size.

So, you never had to buy all new tools to work on your car. Sometimes, the car was a mixed box of metric and English. For a while the body was English and the engine was metric.

And you never had to deal with drill bits of fractional, lettered and numbered?

When machining, it's nice when your tools and your measuring device is in the same units. A metric optical scale say on a milling machine and a 7/16" bit is awkward.

I think the cars are mostly metric now.
    The printed circuit board/electronics industry is a bit of both.

The electrician's trade hasn't changed and the plumbing trade hasn't changed that I can tell.

Hospitals and health care use the metric system. Comsumers measure temps in deg F and lbs though.

The container industry for foods are changing to metric. The first was the 2 liter bottles. The food portions are getting smaller.

Much of the food packaging is now in Spanish and English. Sustomer support lines are Spanish and English.

Electrical Equipment (consumer and Industrial) is supporting multi lanuage options.

I had to configure a few laptops to use a network printer that came up in either Chinese or German. German was easier since I had a bit of the language.

Yep, gets to be real fun.

I just don't like the weird dilution problems that occur in real life sometimes.

A fruit sprayer.

You put raw material in the sprayer and selec a dial that says 8tbs/gal and it mixes it automatically and you can put the unused stuff back.

Now suppose you have a powder which says use 8 tablespoons/gallon of water and you want to mix, say 3 cups to use in the sprayer and spray at one of the sprayer's rates. Real fun.

One of the more simpler problems is:

I mix 3 ingredients together to make x in equal proportions.

I premix 2 of them together 1:1.

I then ad 2/3 of the premix to 1/3 warm water before use.

But the spraying tree thing is miserable.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    The recipe should be taking care of that itself. My recipes (not metric) say they want 8 ounces of water (weight) or 1 cup of chopped celery (volume). If it gives it in weight, it's weight. If it gives it in volume, it's volume. Some things can be measured either way (1 cup of water).
    8 ounces of water? There are two types of ounces. One is fluid ounces and the other is a weight-type ounce (there are actually a number of different ounces -- troy ounces, avoirdupois ounces, etc). Most recipes use ounces as a measure of volume, not weight.

In my opinion, the U.S. should have converted to the metric system many years ago when they were originally going to. Politicians thought it would be "too confusing" for consumers. I think it was too confusing for them.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 09:56 AM

And I think that the Bristish system of measurements is sometimes confusing itself :D!
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 10:44 AM

Factors of 10, eh? The unit of the knot. Knot (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, of course, the nautical mile.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 11:57 AM

Hmm, yes? Is a knot, or nautical mile following the metric system? I don't think so. Your link says it's a non-SI unit, allowed for used with SI units. A knot started as 47 feet 3 inches, British again...

Btw, I'm not American KISS :eek:
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 03:32 PM

Your probably right. I didn't read it close enough.

We also have exit numbers of highways marked my the meter of road, but the speed and distances are in MPH.

So we can have an exit 202 which is 202 meters from the beginning of say an interstate highway.

I don't like big numbers. Pressure is one unit that gets out of hand kilo-Pascals. I can related to PSI and PSIg and 1 atmosphere is about 14.7 PSI.

Barometric pressure is in In of Hg (column) Around 30.

And Heat duct pressures are in Inches of Water (column). Around 0-1 w.c.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 10:10 PM

I don't like them too much either, that's why we have the prefixes kilo, mega, giga, etc.

Now we won't go into an argument about what we prefer using and hi-jacking the thread, lol!

I guess we have to use the unit the most appropriate to us. Mauritius being a country once owned by England still uses some british system units. For example, when building a house, we often measure in feet. For drilling machines, inches amongst others.

It's just that in the educational system, british units are only rarely used.
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 10:11 PM

8 oz. of water really does weigh 8 oz.

As for the U.S. "should" have converted -- I don't think "should" belongs in that sentence. I think the majority opinion should count for something. I was around when they were talking about converting, and if you've spent that many years doing one way, it IS extremely confusing and disconcerting to have to switch to something else. And I can do the math (I just don't want to). What about all the people who just have no clue?

I can do stuff in metric, but I don't really have a concept of what it means in a conversion. Like I could give my cat 100 ml of fluids and know about how much that is, but only because I'm looking at the bag. Or as my brother says, "You know how big a 750 ml bottle of wine is." :p But if someone tells me their weight in kg, I would have absolutely no clue without sitting down and converting it because that has no meaning to me. Or what about going 50 km per hour - that really means nothing to me. I don't really feel like going around converting everything all the time, for however many years it would take me to get used to it all. I only know some of the conversions, and most of them from having worked with sick cats, and working with people all over the world. (But a lot of that is converting concentrations, cause it's already metric, and it's not like I can "picture" what a blood glucose of 120 looks like anyway.) A lot of people would have a worse time of it than me.

Small measurements aren't a big deal. So the socket is 7 mm. I know that's little and I can read the numbers.

What they could have done is just started teaching the young kids both methods -- they can learn it. If people can grow up speaking two languages, they can learn two different sets of measurements. They can do that for years, and by time the young ones are older, they could completely convert over. I think that was perhaps part of the concept, but from what I've seen, all they do is teach how to plug n chug and convert numbers, but aren't really getting the kids to understand what it means or get a feel for metric. They learn and remember that about as well as they do percentages, which is lousy.

But young people can learn and change things easily. Older people are very freaked out by such things.
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 11:09 PM

One of my supervisors once said, people like small numbers especially between 1 and 10. 8 cups is perfectly acceptable, so is an 12 oz drink. Not stuff with some ungodly amount of ml in it.

KPa is the worst unit for pressure.

Fahrenheit has a much finer resolution than deg C for human comfort.

For reference 100 kg is about 220 lbs.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Fahrenheit has a much finer resolution than deg C for human comfort.
    That is very true. Of course, one can fine-tune with decimals. But that's one conversion I will probably never remember.

For reference 100 kg is about 220 lbs.
    That one I know, except I never remember which direction it goes. But most people don't divulge their weights, so I've seen this mostly with cats. So if a cat weighs 3.5 kg, it just seems reasonable that I should be multiplying and not dividing. :D But I still have to do the math. If I get stuck on weight, I know how many grams per ounce, which oddly enough, I learned at a manufacturer where I worked a good 20 years ago... and did their accounting so had no reason to learn.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 05:54 AM

One litre of water weighs one kilogram :)

Quote Originally Posted by morgaine
    "You know how big a 750 ml bottle of wine is." But if someone tells me their weight in kg, I would have absolutely no clue without sitting down and converting it because that has no meaning to me.
    For me, that's quite some wine there :eek:
    And 50km/h is quite slow... the speed limit in towns in general.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

Does it strike anyone odd, the chemicals the original poster had referenced to. Sounds to me a lot like an LSD recipe.

!ACID!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 21, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    Does it strike anyone odd, the chemicals the original poster had referenced to. Sounds to me a lot like an LSD recipe.

!ACID!
    Seemed like an odd set of ingredients to me, but I had no idea what they could possibly make.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Soil Measurements [ 6 Answers ]

How is soil measured? By ton, pounds or etc.

Cubic measurements [ 2 Answers ]

How to determine cubic measurements. I have length, width, and depth. Do I simply multipy the three numbers? 72 x 28 x 33 = how many cubic inches?

Plumbing measurements [ 1 Answers ]

What is the take-out measurements for a 11/2 inch 90 ell and a 11/2 inch 45 ell? Both fittings are for screw pipe!

Drug measurements [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is about 25 to 30 pounds and I need to know how much benadryl do I give her

Space measurements [ 1 Answers ]

How can oceanographers measure surface currents from space?

View more questions Search