Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MZDAWNALINA1974 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Bank clears a check without proper endorsements
    Can a company cash a check made payable to 4 people, 2 individuals, 2 companies without all signing the check, it was made out like this,
    ms. John doe and mr. John doe and xx company and xx company
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2009, 02:33 PM

A company can make out a check like you suggested but all parties must sign and the check then must be deposited in one of the company's bank accounts. I've seen similar checks made out that way - usually insurance settlement checks.

Nov 27, 2009, 02:41 PM

You its an insurance settlement check, the compnay that cashed it is a third party representing my mortgage company, what do I need to do now, who do I file with to get this compnay in trouble for fraud, they knew I didn't sign it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2009, 03:06 PM

Contact the insurance company who issued the check. They are the only party to report this fraud to. The mortgage company should have gotten your signature.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 03:10 PM

The person who "cashed" or deposited it was the one who should not have done this.

Checks are processed electronicly now adays and often a real person never reviews them

Nov 27, 2009, 04:36 PM

Yes, I have filed a fraud report through insurance company but the problem is they said the inveestigation takes 3-6 months, how come the insruacne company doesn't issue another check and then it go after the company itself. Any further help or suggesstions would be appreciated.

Nov 28, 2009, 02:43 PM

Anyone else have any suggesstions for me, I did file a cliam with my insurance company, but like I said could take 6 months to get another check issued, how can I make it faster.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2009, 03:03 PM

Many mortgage companies are keeping these checks, it was on the TV news this last week

Nov 28, 2009, 04:04 PM

Can they legally do that without me signing it.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2009, 05:10 PM

It is unclear at this point from the news articles, if you were behind in any payment it is more likely.

The issues here were the flood a couple months ago, and many lenders were behind so the banks took the checks for late payments, Going to end up in court from what the TV news were saying.

Nov 30, 2009, 11:05 AM

How can they take insurance monies for house payments, don't it state in insurance policies its to fix the home. I don't understand this at all but thanks anyway
    themoneyladder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 11:10 AM
    If you see the word "AND" (as in "John Doe AND XX company AND...."), all parties must endorse the check. If you see the word "OR" between the names, only one must endorse it.

Banks aren't too strict about this rule with joint account holders, spouses etc. but in a case like this with companies and individuals all on the list, I'd think it is best for all the endorse it.

For more practical solutions to personal finance issues, visit www.themoneyladder.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bank took my Social Security check [ 7 Answers ]

In Georgia, can my bank withdraw funds from my checking account (they actually took every penny) without my permission that were deposited with my social security check? This was taken for a debt having nothing to do with my checking account (NSF, etc.). Babs

My bank took $7.85 from my account for the $1.85 check I wrote. [ 14 Answers ]

The check I wrote was for $1.85 with the word "One and 85/100 only". Last month my acoount statement came and it showed $7.85. I asked my bank in person twice. Finally, the banking officer wrote me the following letter: " We have received your complain about the discrepancy of a check written to...

Bank garnishment, can I cash a check at my bank or will they keep it? [ 6 Answers ]

Are banks linked or does the garnishment have to be sent to all banks? I have a debt and they haven't frozen my account but about once a month they do a garnishment and drain my account. My questions: Can I just cash a check at my bank or will they keep it? If I take my check to a...

Frozen bank account/pay check [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out that my account was frozen, as well as my recent paycheck.. I was not served any notice,calls nothing.. I don't even have the court that it was filed in.. I live pay check to pay check and have no funds... I live in NY and was told that they can not hold my pay.. but the bank will...

Bounced check - bank mistake [ 2 Answers ]

I have discover credit card - they send me blank check that, I can write for up to my credit limit and it's going to be 0% interest rate for 12 months. I deposited the check in my account - discover card posted the check on my account for $10,000. 3 weeks later, I found out that check was...

View more questions Search