Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 10, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Ampacity of NM-B cable
    A recent post in the Pools - Spas & Saunas forum reminded me of a code issue that I encountered earlier this year during an inspection.

The "-B" of "NM-B" indicates that its conductors have a temperature rating of 90ºC, which leads many people (electricians and inspectors included) to believe that the 90º column of table 310.16 should be used when determining allowable ampacity of the cable. But in reality, the 60º column is supposed to be used. See my post here for more.

Check out some similar questions!

Entrance Cable [ 4 Answers ]

I am putting in a new electric service in my house and wanted to know what size wire I need for a 200 amp service

BX (AC) cable [ 1 Answers ]

My electrician just installed new wiring in my house. It is of the aluminum wrap type. The roughing in was done and the cable left hanging down in the cellar. It was laid between a water pipe and a painted 80+ year old poured concrete wall. In a period of about 2 months, there is a rotted 5 inch...

SER Cable [ 1 Answers ]

Is SER cable (0,0,0,2) direct bury, or must it be in conduit?

Bx Cable Short [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A 1930's Era Home Which Still Has Several Old Bx Cable Circuits. Yesterday The Breaker Tripped On One Of The Circuits. I Had An Electrician Come Out Today To Check It. The Breaker Would Stay On About 2-3 Seconds. The Circuit Handles About 5 Overhead Lights And One Wall Outlet, A Total...

BX Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for cutting BX armored cable without buying a special tool? I just have to cut two wires to tap into the line but am a little afraid of damaging the wires inside. Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.