Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nosohandyman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 02:32 PM
    How to erase info from computer?
    Hi,

I am replacing my computer and I would like to erase all sensitive data before I discard the tower. What is the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Hi, nosohandyman!

Is anyone else going to use your old computer, please?

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2009, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, nosohandyman!

Is anyone else going to use your old computer, please?

Thanks!
    I hope not. I am going to dump it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Hi again, nosohandyman!

Then the easiest way to insure that no information can be retrieved, would be to remove the hard drive and just simply destroy it. Using a hammer on it should do the trick.

If you wanted the computer to be saved so that someone else could use it, then you would need to re-format the hard drive or use an eraser program that would over-write everything that you wouldn't want to be retrievable.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2009, 04:44 PM

If you are going to dump it, just pull the hard drive and take a hammer to it

Nov 30, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, nosohandyman!

Then the easiest way to insure that no information can be retrieved, would be to remove the hard drive and just simply destroy it. Using a hammer on it should do the trick.

If you wanted the computer to be saved so that someone else could use it, then you would need to re-format the hard drive or use an eraser program that would over-write everything that you wouldn't want to be retrievable.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the reply. So, I assume the hard drive is the thin rectangular shaped box? Do I need to destroy the RAM and any other stuff?

Thanks
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 30, 2009, 08:48 AM

Afternoon

The Hard Drive is rectangle in shape, but then so is the disk drives, - it is often silver in colour and has a din plug connection at the back

If you are unsure of what is what, then just go nuts with the hammer, maybe a little saw, or even petrol in a metal container out the back, eitherway, wait till someone winds you up and take it out on the PC :D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2009, 02:14 PM

The hard drive is a thin rectangular unit in the tower case connected by a ribbon cable.

And no, you don't need to worry about RAM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Erase Computer [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how to completely wipe out my computer due to a virus that made it so I can't login anymore. I want to wipe it out and reboot it. I have the software to reboot it but I don't know of to erase everything off it. Please help me!:eek:

Computer died and I want the info [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My computer does not turn on and it is a power supply issue. I need to get the information off that computer and put it on my new one. It mainly is digital pictures that I must retrieve. Please give me detailed steps on hpw to do this. Thanks. PS I don't know much about computers,...

Need to erase the history on my computer. [ 7 Answers ]

I need some help to erase the history on my computer and have no idea how. Can someone help me . Thanks.

DVD+RW erase [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I purchase 1 dvd+rw before 3 years. I write some movie on it by copy dvd option of nero After this I don't use it but after 3 year I try to erase it but it is not erased I try with nero. Why it is not erased?

I want to make my computer unable to receve or send wirless info [ 5 Answers ]

I have a built in wireless and I want to make my laptop so that it is steailth in other words I don't want a singal signal comeing from this laptop or going to it I want it dead no radio sigunals or other wise how do I accoplish this I plan on going out to the woods to live and I don't need a...

View more questions Search