Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdsjsb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Replacing b&s Magneto
    I have a 5 hp Briggs and stratton with a broken wire on the Magneto close to the winding, the wire that goes to the block ( I assume the Condenser/Points) is also in poor shape. I am looking at changing the magneto, DO I need to remov the flywheel to get at the wire to the condenser or is there a conversion that will allow me to go to solid state ignation? The model type and series is 130202 1652-01 86080610
    Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2006, 08:24 PM
    So that wire is going under the flywheel? Then yes it has points...
    Some will use a conversion kit (to keep the old coil) or just get a new magnetron coil, cut the wires to the points and just slap the new coil on...
    mdsjsb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    So that wire is going under the flywheel? then yes it has points...
    Some will use a conversion kit (to keep the old coil) or just get a new magnetron coil, cut the wires to the points and just slap the new coil on....
    Thanks for your input. I did say the wire went into the block, and I assume it will be both easier to replace with a magnetron, is this a brand name or a type of coil, and is there a way of setting the clearance between the flywheel and the coil? I've heard use a plain old playing card for the proper clearance.
    mdsjsb
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2006, 12:39 AM
    Magnetron is the name given to the type coil briggs uses...
    Business card will work for gapping..
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Magnetron is the name given to the type coil briggs uses....
    buisness card will work for gapping..
    Between the coil and magnetic side of flywheel. Go to your local small engine dealer this time of year they are parting out the rubble. Because of the reliabiliyty of this unit it sells cheap used and will give good life. Have one myself :) :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 12:29 AM
    Ahh yes... the do rarely fail (the magnetrons) and small engines shops usually end up throwing the good ones away...
    If you can't find one... napa would be a good place to look (they started selling briggs parts)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Replacing old thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a new thermostat (digital 7 day programable) for the main part of the house, and I was going to move the old digital to the "gas fire place heated room". My problem... there are only 2 wires coming out of the wall going to the gas fire place. The old one had 3 from the wall and the RC...

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Replacing trim [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing some of the wood trim in my home. Some areas on the sheet rock does not have 2x4 reinforcement to nail to. How would you suggest I install the trim with? It seems that when I use the trim nails they will not hold the wood flush against the sheetrock.

Replacing headlamps [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 2002 nissan altima and am trying to replace my H1 headlamps. I know that I have to remove the headlight housing to replace the bulb, but cannot figure out how to remove it. The manual that came with the car states that I hae to return to the dealer to do this. NO WAY... Someone, please...

View more questions Search