Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oyenike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 07:26 AM
    What are the pro and cons of an interest only home loan?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oyenike
    what are the pro and cons of an interest only home loan?
    First, unless your post is directly releated to the thread, its not a good idea to add a question in an existing thread. You should start your own thread (I'm putting in a request to move this to a new thread).

There is no such thing as an interest only loan. At some point you will have to pay principle. There are loans where you can pay interest only for a time. The advantage to this is a lower monthly payment during that time. The disadvantage is that ti will cost you much more in interest over the course of the loan.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Another disadvantage is that you accumulate no equity in your house. Equity being: "the resale value of your home is not the only value your home contains. When you purchase a home and make payments on your home mortgage, you start building what is called home equity. Home equity is the difference between the current resale value of a home and the amount still owed on the mortgage. As the principal of the mortgage amount decreases as a result of monthly mortgage payments, the home equity increases. " (source)

Should you decide to sell your home and the market value has decreased in any way (as it is these days) then your are faced with covering that difference.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 10, 2006, 11:47 AM
    While I am not a great fan of Interest Only loans, they can be used by a prudent borrower in specific situation. The early crop of IO loans had the rate fixed with the IO for a period of 3, 5, or 7 years, at which point they turned into a 1 year adjustable (risky for the long term). Now FNMA offers a fixed rate 30 year loan with the IO option for the first 10 years. Such loans can work for the borrower who plans to remain for the short term; or the borrower who will pay off debt during that time, or may have a large child support etc. obligation that will be gone in 3 or 5 years. Unfortunately, most people, spend this extra disposable income on new cars, boats and other neat stuff, without any thought to the future. There will be many forclosures in the future because of these, and especially the "Pay Option ARMs", in which the minimum payments are set at an atificially low level by negative amortization (where unpaid interest is added to the principal). I hope this helps.
    Dwight_Pigg Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Nov 18, 2006, 08:53 PM
    Dr D is right on! I have counseled people to never use an interest only loan to buy "more house" than they could otherwise afford. The 30 year fixed is by far the least risky. Dr D has given some excellent reasons to consider an interest only. I would only add one more.
    Many of my clients have gone on an interest only and invested the difference; in other words, the portion that would have gone to pay principal. You must be disciplined to this.
    If you save $300 per month by paying I/O on a $200,000 loan, you would invest that $300 every month. If you can average a 10% return, you would have $62,778 at the end of ten years.
    During this same period, you would have paid only $30,449 in principal on a traditional 30 year loan.
    At this point, the loan would amoritize the balance over the remaining 20 years. You could pay $30,449 to principal and keep the same payment for the remainder of the loan, while keeping more than $32,000 of your investment money! There are a lot of other options available to you as well.
    Here are some other benefits to think about:

1. During that 10 year period you are very liquid. If you have an emergency or are unable to work for a period, you have the cash reserves to take care of it.

2. There is nothing to stop you from paying extra to principal. I have had some clients do this and apply their income tax return to principal every year. If your average refund is $3000 each year, your principal is reduced the same as it would have been on a traditional loan, while banking 62K!

I could go on and on with more ideas, but I think that you can get the idea. Bottom line is don't go I/O if you lack the disipline to responsibly invest the savings.

I hope that helps!
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 19, 2006, 07:17 PM
    I agree with everyone's posts on this matter--IO loans are only good if you plan on only living in a particular home for a short amount of time (less than 5 years) and you know that the value of that home is going to increase dramatically within that time. Now, unless you are a fortune teller, I would say that an IO loan is a very bad choice. You not only may not be able to sell the home for what you owe on it, but if you re-finance, chances are the rates are going to be higher in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

Home loan interest rate [ 1 Answers ]

What are some some of the home loan interest rates now for good to average credit for fixed rate.

Student loan interest deductibility [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005, I was on F1 until Sept 30, and then my status was changed to H1B starting from Oct 1. CINTAX has determined that I had to use 1040NR-EZ to file my tax return. It said I was not eligible to claim student loan interest for my tax return since I was not in F1 visa status as of 31 Dec 2005....

5 yrs.later car loan / interest due ? [ 1 Answers ]

I took out in 1996 new car loan over 5 yrs. w/Americredit. In 2001 received registration slip. Recalling now, I did not get a paper that said " Paid In Full. " The regiistration slip I believed at that time was my paid in full. 1 week ago I got a call from a collection agnecy that said Americredit...

View more questions Search