Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    popthebest Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Sony Vaio PCG-K315Z 512Mb to 1Gb upgrade problem
    I have a similar question of ClubMan, posted one year ago.
    I've tried to update my PCG-K315 to 1Gb using 2 modules of 512 Mb each but the system continues viewing only 512 Mb total.
    On Sony official website the RAM specs to upgrade are: 512 MB RAM PC2700 DDR SDRAM.
    I was unable to buy the RAM from Sony official store, so I've found and bought 2 Corsair modules: 512 MB DDR SDRAM Corsair PC2700, 333MHz, CAS2.5, SO-DIMM.
    The RAM supplier, after having get back and changed the first 2 modules supposing they were failed, now says it's due surely to the BIOS.
    I've upgraded the BIOS to last version (Phoenix R0105X3) but still having the problem: system views only half of the RAM installed.
    :mad:
    Thank you for your help.

PS See attached link for official specs:
    http://www.vaio-link.com/accessories...&serie=-1&c=10
    3v3rm0r3 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Check the max ram the laptop can handle

Nov 14, 2006, 01:13 AM
    As you can see on the link posted above (http://www.vaio-link.com/accessories...&serie=-1&c=10) the system can handle 1Gb.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 14, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Ok a couple of things to try.
    Seems to me from what you have said is that one of your new modules is dead.
    Try putting them in one at a time to check.
    Either that or you are trying to add the wrong speed to your system as a mismatch can cause a similar problem.
    3v3rm0r3 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Yeah srry about that the site wasn't in english OK hmm.. I'm not sure then but my last guess is some motherboard are picky on ram , I've known this from building a few computer
    Try different brand maybe

Nov 17, 2006, 06:25 AM
    The english version site is http://www.vaio-link.com/accessories...&serie=-1&c=10.
    Remarks:
    1. Tested one module a time: 256 Mb visible instead of 512Mb.
    2. Modules are PC2700 (333Mhz). Sony web site suggests PC2700, crucial.com too, but Corsair suggests PC2100 (266Mhz). I've found on crucial.com that a DDR PC2700 memory is backward-compatible (see http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...G%2DK3x+Models) so it can work at PC2100 too. I wouldn't like to spend money again before understanding the right reason...
    3. Sony e-support, after excluding RAM defects, thinks it's due to the motherboard and suggests me to repair it... but the PC is working well and I can't go without it right now.

Thanks.
    rockdiarylv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 12:44 PM
    I got a hold of the sony gods. I was having the same problem. This computer was way ahead of its time. I love this thing. But in its time its processor was compatible with 266mhz ramm speed. So the ramm upgrade can not exceed 266mhz. So the guy from sony said find 2x pc2100+ 512m at 266mhz. Blah blah blah. Do it. Indiekrush.com thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Vaio PCG-K23 512MB to 1GB mem upgrade problem [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 which came preinstalled with 2 x 256MB Infineon HYS64D32020GDL-7-B PC2100 SO-DIMMs. I recently purchased 2 x 512MB Patriot Memory PSD512333S PC2700 SO-DIMMs hoping to replace the Infineon SO-DIMMs and bring it up to the maximum capability of 1GB. I realise that the PC2700...

Compaq Presario vs. Sony Vaio [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just bought a Compaq Presario 6027US for $80. It's a Pentium 4 Processor, 2.0 GHz, 512 Mb, PC 2100 DDR Total System Memory. It's 3 years old. Here's what confuses me, my laptop of about the same years is a Sony Vaio PCGFXA63. And this compaq presario is either equal to or better in...

Firewire problem with Sony Camcorder [ 7 Answers ]

I am wondering what the secret is to hooking up a Sony TRV330 digital Camcorder through the Firewire connection. Apparently there is a sequence that must be followed or you can blow out something in the Camcorder. I don't do this very often, so once again, I guess I killed it (the camcorder). ...

Sony Vaio PCG-K27 Bios Problem [ 9 Answers ]

I am having an issue with my notebook. I forgot the password that I put on it a year ago when I bought it. I need to know either how to remove this password, or what tools are needed to remove it. I am willing to take it to a service center, but I cannot afford to send it to the Sony facility in...

Browser Upgrade Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem with my Internet Explorer upgrade. Whenever I do an upgrade, before the end it's giving me a message about a command, syntax error. It's doing it also on AOL upgrade to 7.0 and 8.0. I did installed Netscape 7.0 though, which I'm using for the web sites that need high version...

View more questions Search