Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lukeduke Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2006, 05:35 AM
    Methadone
    I am currently under doctors care by being prescribed methadone. I understand that it is a long process in getting well by taking and getting off the methadone... 1. I was on heroin and tried all methods in getting off, but was methadone a right choice?. 2. Is there a percentage off people that made methadone work for them if they worked it the correct way?
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 17, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Methadone is a great way to beat an addiction.. it is an opiate inhibitor. The problem that some people do not understand is that if they take any other opiate... they will not feel it and there is a great chance of an over dose. I hope that you have to go to the center every day and drink your dose there. It takes a long time ( 6 months I think ) to bring any "take home " doses home with you. That is where the danger lies. You MUST take it as prescribed.
    The other problem with methadone is that it too can be addicting. You have to be very careful with your doses and you have to be brought down very slowly. The success rate is very high, but it is up to you. If you are as young as you look there is no reason that you can not come off everything ( in time) and lead a drug free life.

Nov 17, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Yes, and I only go 3 times a week which means the third day I go in I have take homes for 4 days. :) I don't want you to think I am being mean cause I am not.:)
    I would have trusted that you would know that I am aware of the adverse effects and dangers of methadone. I again am not unschooled but am 26 years old and have been in and out of college twice with 48 credits. I have been in and out of the army and went to spend 11 months in the desert, 6 of them before my unit rolled over the border to invade Iraq. I drove the Brigade Commander (full bird colonel) which conducted the whole initial war. All though I am in no way proud of it but I have been through, seen and even smelled things one would not even want to dream of along with losing very close friends, so maybe you should do research before you intend to preach something. I am sorry but I don't like being talked to like a brand new student of something so if you are not on methadone or a doctrine or whatever about it I would guarantee that I know a whole lot more about it than you do, thanks.;)

P.S. Now in my life the only things that matter is my sobriety, Jesus, and of course family

Nov 17, 2006, 08:53 AM
    I never meant it to be mean, but how would I know any of that about you? Also allow me say I so proud and thankful of and for you and for all you have done for me and mine. You had a hard job.
    I never meant to imply that you were unschooled. I was only trying to help. I was a nurse in the gulf war so I have seen and done many things that I will not go into here. I have "been around" also. I am also a trauma and an I.C.U. nurse. I am retrired so I only work part time now, but I have done this for a long time. While I don't have a doctrine of methadone I do have a .B.S.. degree.
    Again I am sorry that you misunderstood me I was only trying explain how dangerous methadone can be and at your young age I see no problem with you living a drug free life.
    I have seen some older people that are on a maintenance doses of methadone for the rest of there lives. I didn't want that to happen to you.
    I thought in my above post that I was only answering what you asked. Again, forgive me for mistaking what you were asking.
    Your P.S. is a good one.. stick to it.

Nov 19, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Hello and thank you and I am also sorry, and I am glad that we both know what each other is about. Yes and I am going to not let methadone be with me my whole life, I do plan to only stay on as long I should. Thank you for your support in the GULF. I am switching from the clinic that I am at now to the VA clinic simply because it is free to veterans. I am happy to go there cause I will be able to take advantage what is mine because of my veteran status and my diagnosis with Post dramatic stress.

Have a good one and talk at you later... bye bye

Nov 21, 2006, 07:39 AM
    No problem Luke, and Good Luck.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 21, 2006, 07:45 AM
    lukeduke,

Very great of you to leave the drugs behind and make a move to secure your future by taking the time to seek help, and help yourself. I am not sure about the percentage of those methadone has worked for, but I do know that it is also a relief from the withdrawl symptoms of heroin. I think its way better than doing heroin, personally. I have never been a user of either but know someone who has; if at any time you feel dependent on Methadone then feel free to come back here and talk it out, but first let your physician know. Take care:)

Also, awesome that you visit the VA clinic, PST isn't easy to handle and its great to speak to those who can relate to you.
    Gregdoris Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeduke
    I am currently under doctors care by being prescribed methadone. I understand that it is a long process in getting well by taking and getting off the methadone....1. I was on heroin and tried all methods in getting off, but was methadone a right choice?...2. Is there a percentage off people that made methadone work for them if they worked it the correct way?
    Luke,
    You are are an addict. Period. Nobody is impressed by what you do. Get sober.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Dec 1, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Hi lukeduke!

Congrats on getting clean! Sounds as though you have been through a lot thus far in your life.

Just want to throw a story out here but... my good friend's fiancé died of a methadone overdose. They were camping over a holiday weekend and he had a few beers and bought 2 pills of methadone from a gal there at the camp site. (Meanwhile, my friend went to bed early and had no idea this was going on). His friends thought he passed out so they brought him into the cabin and laid him in bed. His girlfriend (my friend) woke up in the middle of the night with him throwing up. She assumed it was from drinking too much. She woke up the next morning with him laying next to her with stuff coming out of his mouth! She is very hurt and angry right now! Drugs not only hurt the users but also hurts family and friends!

In the past... he had experimented with crack. I guess he didn't use it but a couple times a year, which to me is still a problem if he was using any kind of drugs.

I am not saying this is something that you would do but I just want people to be aware of the "power" of this drug!

Thank you and good luck!!

Dec 2, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Your real cool greg, its what I have done you big dummy( you think you are better than me or something cause you are not) and you need to worry about yourself... this question is over no need to reply cause I won't fuel your negative remarks anymore by looking back on here so you'll be talking to yourself...

Thanks... single4... be safe and good luck and everyone else for the support... GOD BLESS...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Comments on this post ordinaryguy disagrees: On the conrary. I'm very impressed that he's doing what it takes to get sober and free.
    J_9 agrees: WRONG!! I am very impressed that he has realized he had a problem and is man enough to fix it.

Sorry I meant to disagree. This man is a terrible person.
    casey29 Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Jan 11, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Oh my god I really wish you haden't even had a thought about methdone. It's the most evil medication I have ever been on and the whole perpose behind methdone treatment is all one big lie after another another. The prclaimed therory is to get you at the right dose. You yourself will or should be the one to tell if you are at a theroputic dose. Simuliar to you I was on oxycontin for a good amount of time. I hated the thought of evergoing threw those lithul/painful withdraws ever again. So I went into the methadone clinic got sighned up right away. At first the would raise me 5mg each day until I got to 100mg. Ididn't want to go up any highier on the doseage.myfather/best friend, used to go to the clinic with me to keep me safe in a bad neighborhood. But truthfully my dad was a methadone client himself. He was the one that got all the oxicontin we could use for that time. Anyway he died because he was out of town for about 3 nights he was without methedone and without anything. So this increddible man that I called daddy walked to an empty lot at the kake of the ozarks, stood right under a big oak tree and shot himself one time in the right temple of his head. He had many problems but in his life off and on he would have to deal with addictions of various kinds.(many pain killers but a little of this and a little of that.)But he said it right the nifgt before he ended his life, "he said casey I have ovrcome somany opsticles in my life. I beat alcohol, maijanwan, speeders and pain pills, but this here methadone has me beat. And the game got to complicated and he didn't want to play anymore, so he took the easiest way out that he could find.And that dessison was his death. Flat out plain as day methadone is basically herion or any type of drug you like calling it.And one day in the near future you will soon see that methadone is simply trading one drug for another.It may not have the same uforic feeling likle some drugs do. But there were several times I had to along side the road because tha metadone kicked in and knocked me on my . By the time I decided to get winged off methadone my so calld counslor from the clinic had my does set at 150mg per day. Heavy full grown men wereon doeses a lot kless then mine, closser to 65-75mg. When I started to com e off methadone I was taking one less mg per daY. IT SUCKED SO BAD FOR months and months I was hurting worse every single day that I dropped a miligrahm. It was christmas morning the day of my last does year of2003. I want to say coming of that methadone is worse tha coming off any other oppiate. I remember on day had to dose earliy that moorning for some reason or another, and there so many trash can junkies waiting for the door to open. Im telling you it remined me of a free soup kitchen, methadone is a joke it helps cut down on a little crime and theft indifficult areas.most people whether they no it when they walk into a clinic or when walking out the majority of those people will be back to get their fix for the day, and this will continue for there entire life time. I remember when I let methadone rule my life ,ididn't think I could take a shower or dress my own children I thought I had to have dose of methadone before I could mak it through another day in hell. I could tell you I was clean and drug free while I was on methadone that most terrible year I ever lived. To some people I was clean and doing good but now I know it for what it is and METHADONE is a drug that is just as bad,just as addictind, and is very well known to be sold on the streets for trade or money. Ihate the whole methadone world, but I have one finnal thing you should be glad to here. There is a new drug called SUBXON IT TO IS for helping people with addiction. Its very different though you can take3 to 4 pills a day depending on your dcose and you will never feel a withdraw, any cravings will disaper. You can be on it as long as you want. And when you decide that you are ready to start withdrawing the medication you drop about 2 mg per month until you are finnally successful. Way way way unlike mthadone you will never fill any withdraw not even when you take the very last dose. I was a percocett user and when I started the subboxn and the doctor told me that if I were to use any kind of drugs the subboxn will knock the street drug or drug that you choose off my sensor in my brain that tells me that I am high or what ever. I've tried a few drugs when ifirst started the treatment and sure enough I didn't get any kind of buzz what soever.It can really work for you if you need time for achange.and it usually less then you would pay for methadone .
    BUTTERFLY47201 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Iam Glad Methadone Is Working For You?

Feb 4, 2007, 04:39 PM
    You Must Of Miss Undrstood Me By Far. Methadonme Is The Most Destructve Drug They Have In The World. You Think Oxy Or Herion Is Bad This Is A lot Worse. Stay As Far Away As You Can!!
    Reread My Letter . Write Me Back And I Will Tell You About A Better More Effect Treatment That Has High Results And No Withdraw At All!!
    aurilio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
    I think it is a very good step to see and admit you have a problem. My mom was addicted to herein for about 15 years and she decided to try to get off but she always got sooo sick so she then got on methadone, was on it for along time. I must admit that she seemed to break her addiction to the herein but she had to have the methadone which in my opinion is better then being sick all the time from needing herein. She is off all drugs because eventually your dose gets lowered, it's a lenghty process but it's well worth it. If your really serious about this go for it but make sure you are serious, I had a friend who was on methadone and was taking all kinds of other drugs and died about two years ago. It may be hard in the beginning but keep your head up and do not quit it's well worth it.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 4, 2007, 10:48 PM
    I have known a few addicts who got clean with doctor-prescribed methadone and regular attendance at NA meetings. I hear them still today say it is sooooo worth what it took to get there. Their recovery stories impress me and I am not that easily impressed. I have known one person in the last year, an in-and-out of AA active alcoholic, who used methadone for pain relief, overdosed on it and died.

I am in recovery from both alcoholism and pstd. It is doable but there are good days and not so good days so the trick is to appreciate the good days and know what to do to pass through without picking up on the not so good days. As time in recovery goes on, it gets easier but I am not the least bit hesitant to call for help when I need it too. I have seen what happens to those who lose their ability to do that. I am glad you posted here, Luke. Sorry to be so late in posting to your thread and I hope this helps.

Feb 5, 2007, 03:33 PM
    I am currently under doctors care by being prescribed methadone. I understand that it is a long process in getting well by taking and getting off the methadone....1. I was on heroin and tried all methods in getting off, but was methadone a right choice?...2. Is there a percentage off people that made methadone work for them if they worked it the correct way?
    Take my advice try to reserch this new methadone alturnative. It is called suboxon! Suboxon can save your life and clean you up with no withdraws at all. Were as methadone will either ruin your life, control your life, or it will support you for the rest of your life as a life long addict.
    Please reserch the new alturative medicne called suboxon! You will be glad that you did!:( :(
    chrisII Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Feb 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Run away from that stuff, my cousin was on this stuff and he got worse! It kills people, or screws your mind. The best policy is to mediate and find your spirituality, it is the only way to overcome adiction

Feb 12, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by casey29
    TAKE MY ADVICE TRY TO RESERCH THIS NEW METHADONE ALTURNATIVE. IT IS CALLED SUBOXON! SUBOXON CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE AND CLEAN YOU UP WITH NO WITHDRAWS AT ALL. WERE AS METHADONE WILL EITHER RUIN YOUR LIFE, CONTROLL YOUR LIFE, OR IT WILL SUPPORT YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AS A LIFE LONG ADDICT.
    PLEASE RESERCH THE NEW ALTURATIVE MEDICNE CALLED SUBOXON! YOU WILL BE GLAD THAT YOU DID!:( :(
    Suboxon is a nixocafidanine and could create depression or other side efects. I had a cousin that was taking methadone and he tried many other alternatives, including that one.

Feb 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by casey29
    You Must Of Miss Undrstood Me By Far. Methadonme Is The Most Destructve Drug They Have In The World. You Think Oxy Or Herion Is Bad This Is Alot Worse. Stay As Far Away As You Can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Reread My Letter . Write Me Back And I Will Tell You About A Better More Effect Treatment That Has High Results And No Withdraw At All!!!!!

oxy and heroin are the worst, dont even get close to that stuff. try drinking Cocaine, the drink from Texas that has a bunch of caffeine, at least you'll feel wired without screwing your brain !
    Oxy and heroin are the worst, don't even get close to that stuff. Try drinking Cocaine, the drink from Texas that has a bunch of caffeine, at least you'll feel wired without screwing your brain !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search