Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjeluitjens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Can you sue someone for interfering with your livelihood
    I have a boyfriend/fiance who has to pay restitution to a women he was in an accident with about 10 years ago. He could go to jail for not paying it. He is also on parole. You would never know now that anything like that happened. Right now he is almost our sole provider. Our being me and my 7 year old son. Could I sue her for interfering with my livelihood?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 01:28 PM

Ok, you are not seroius are you?? Your boyfriend was in a accidetn and it appears did not have insurance to pay a person, she sued and he has to pay because of a law suit or a criminal trial.

And you want to sue this women, I can only roll in the floor laughing at how silly people can be.

And this is being nice.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 01:31 PM

Wait... how is she interfering with YOUR livelihood?

Is the fact that he's paying restitution somehow interfering with YOUR job?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 08:37 PM

Unfortunately this all happened prior to you knowing him. He still has to pay even if he would have a wife and 10 kids to support.

How does she interfere? Does she keep contacting him insisting he pay more? He probably already has a court order in place and must pay a certain amount each month.

The fact that he supports you and your daughter tells me that you probably need to go out and get or at least try to get a job to help support yourself and your daughter. She isn't interfering with YOUR livelihood - you are but not getting a job.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2009, 09:00 PM
    First, to answer the question posed in the subject, yes, one can sue someone for inerfering with their livelihood. But means they are preventing you from making a living.

This is not the case here. Not even close. She is not interfering with anyone making a living. The pnly thing she is doing is reducing the amount of money ou and he have to spend, And that is not actionable.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjeluitjens View Post
    I have a boyfriend/fiance who has to pay restitution to a women he was in an accident with about 10 years ago. He could go to jail for not paying it. He is also on parole. You would never know now that anything like that happened. Right now he is almost our sole provider. Our being me and my 7 year old son. Could I sue her for interfering with my livelihood?

I see it a little differently than my comrades.

Sure, you can sue anybody for almost anything. How is she interfering with your livelihood? The definition of livelihood, of course is: "... a means of supporting one's existence, esp. financially or vocationally; living: to earn a livelihood as a {____}."

He's been on parole for 10 years because of this accident?

Or is he on parole for something else?

He's your boyfriend, not your husband, and he's supporting both you and your child from another relationship and that is your livelihood?

I HAVE to know what State this is in!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I sue Oregon State? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband was seriously harmed by a doctor's malpractice. The Oregon Board of Medical Practitioners found this doctor guilty of several counts of gross negligence and causing my husband serious patient harm. They revoked his license and pronounced him to be a danger to the public. We hired a...

How to sue bank? [ 34 Answers ]

I am seeking how to sue, in small claims court in my state, a bank with NA (national association) after the name. How do I get the subpoena delivered correctly? To whom? The Office of Comptroller of the Currency has no info on the bank—not even their address. They only thing they have is it is...

What to do if his friends keep interfering? [ 5 Answers ]

This boy at school that I like was going to ask me out today and he knows that I'm interested, but his friends kept interfering and he never got to it. He is also taking crappy advice from his friends who can't even keep a girlfriend. How do I stop them from interfering so much without looking like...

Blackmail of livelihood [ 8 Answers ]

Thanks

Defamation of character leads to loss of family, home, livelihood [ 3 Answers ]

I was the sole caregiver to my mother and stepfather for five years. After the death of my stepfather, my four brothers come in from out of state and accuse me of neglect and abuse and say I never once helped my mother or stepfather, try to evict me with only my personal possessions, accuse me of...

View more questions Search