Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheresaMae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 10:07 AM
    how to solve simple word quadratic equations
    A rectangle is 4cm longer than it is wide, and its area is 117 cm2. Find its dimensions.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 10:33 AM

Have a simple sketch.

Let the length of the rectangle be x and the width be y.

The length is longer by 4, as compared to the width.
    That means that x = y + 4

You have to add 4 to the width so that both are of the same length.

How do you find area? It's length times width, hence xy. That is equal to 117. So, xy = 117. Now you have:

x = y + 4
    xy = 117.

Solve simultaneously to get the answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solving Quadratic Equations/ WORD PROBLEMS [ 5 Answers ]

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO SOMTHINGLIKE THIS?? The length of a rectangle is 2 feet more than the height. The area of the rectangle is 5 foot , find the base?

How can I solve word equations in Chemistry? [ 1 Answers ]

I know how to solve chemical equations, but I think it is soooo much harder to figure out how to do a problem like this Directions: Write and balance the following chemical reactions. Copper(II) sulfide reacts with nitric acid to produce copper(II) sulfate, water, and nitrogen dioxide.

How do I solve a word dilemma using quadratic equation [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for days on this and went to every website and test I could find but cannot wrap my brain around this. Word problems give me great difficulty and I am supposed to construct a quadratic equation for this. I'd really appreciate some help. if a retailer spends $48 to purchase some...

Quadratic Word Equations [ 3 Answers ]

SUPPOSE A BASEBALL IS SHOT UP FROM THE GROUND STRAIGHT UP WITH AN INITIAL VELOCITY OF 32 FEET PER SECOND. A FUNCTION CAN BE CREATED BY EXPRESSING DISTANCE ABOVE THE GROUND,S,AS A FUNCTION OF TIME,T. THIS FUNCTION IS S=16T^2+VOT+SO 16 REPRESENTS 1/2g, the gravitational pull due to gravity...

View more questions Search