Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rxn1770 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 10:42 PM
    Bad smell from shower and tub when hot water is running
    Ok I know that others have posted similar questions.

The smell is becoming worse and I can swear that my eyes burn and I cough when I am in the bathroom area.

When the shower or tub hot water is running, there is a burnt foul smell in the air. I have also smelled a rotten egg smell in the washer area which is in proximity to this particular bath.

The smell in the bath has a distinctive burnt smell to it and seems to go away soon after the water is turned off... and only with hot water.

I hope you can help because I am a bit freaked out about this being toxic (hydrogen sulfide):(

Rachel
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Hi Rachel,

Certain types of bacteria can react with the magnesium anode rod in your water heater resulting in a rotten egg odor. Clean the tank using chlorine bleach and changing the anode rod to aluminum usually will solve the problem. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow shower/tub hot water [ 5 Answers ]

Let me say first off, this BBS is great! The questions are very typical, and the answers are polite and helpful. On to my problem. The hot water pressure/flow at our tub/shower is lower than I think it ought to be. It started as almost a trickle, and is now better (thanks to this BBS), but is...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Hot water keeps running in shower [ 2 Answers ]

My son had a shower after me this morning and when he turned the taps off, the hot water just kept running. I've tried turning the water off at the mains which didn't help. Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but there were too many results to go through. Any suggestions or advice...

Limited hot water to tub/shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am ble to take an "OK" shower but when I want to take a bath I can hardly get enough hot wter to take a bath. Is there a way that I can flush out the pipes from hot wter heater to the shower? I have old iron pipes.

Hot water running cold in shower [ 6 Answers ]

We just had a new peerless tankless boiler put in our home. With the old boiler we had no problem with the hot water in the showers. However, when we replaced the shower controls I did have to make an adjustment on the pipes of the oil boiler. I turned a knob on one of the pipes that seemed to...

View more questions Search