Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollywood326 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 09:48 AM
    RCD trippin
    Hello...

The RCD switch keeps tripping out in my house... around every half an hour... we thought it was due to the cooker which wasn't working but it has been replaced today and the switch still keeps trippin out... any ideas why this might be happening and how to go about fixing it? I have recently started an electrician appreticeship but sadly I haven't got this far so don't know the answer... please can someone shed some light on the situation?

Thanks you xx
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 10:12 AM

If you haven't replaced the RCD, I'd probably start with that.

Current is leaking from the live wire to the ground. This is tough to find. I guess if I were doing it, I'd identify all of the devices attached to the circuit, and I'd try to guess as to how the wires are run. I'd then disconnect the devices connected to the circuit one at a time until the problem goes away. Unfortunately, you need to wait half an hour to an hour to determine whether you've disconnected the proper device. If the problem doesn't go away, (open up the circuit boxes and disconnect the plugs/switches/etc) one at a time until the problem goes away.

Once you've figured out which device causes the problem, you can replace that, or trouble-shoot the

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search