Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agapadc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 07:45 PM
    3 year old fridge having problems
    I just bought a Frigidaire top freezer three years ago. The past couple of days I have noticed that the temperature has not been cool. Stuck the thermometer in there, it read between 50-60 degrees today. Looked all over the internet and in Do-it yourself books on what the problem could be. I took the back panel off the freezer after noticing frost build up on the back wall. The whole thing was cased in ice. Got the hair dryer to melt it. Checked to see if the water was going into the pan under the fridge... it was, but it looked as if water had not been in there in quite a while; dry flaky dirt in the bottom of the pan. Checked to see if water was coming in the fridge. There was water dripping from the part where the air usually comes through. Also had a chunk of ice in there. Plugged the fridge back in to see if the fan in the fridge would blow air. It did. The temperature seems to be dropping in the fridge also, but the condenser under the unit is very hot to the touch. Is it supposed to be that hot? Another question is that I have read about the fan. There is not a fan by the condenser. I have no idea where that fan is or where it is supposed to be. The only fan I have seen is in the freezer. Where is the condenser fan supposed to be if it isn't by the condenser? Also, is what I did a quick fix to a bigger problem? I read stuff about the defrost heater and the defrost timer. In a fridge only three years old is this something that goes that quick?
    I am only making a guess as to why the frost was in the freezer (supposed to be frost free), when I just opened the door to the freezer to check on things I noticed a bag was in the seal. But would an occasional something in the seal create that much frost?
    Thanks for any help on this.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 10, 2006, 05:56 PM
    If its got a freezer in it, I would have to assume that it has a defrost timer, and heating element in the evaporator. I would check to make sure that's working.

You also might try cleaning the dust and debris off the condenser coil. Make sure your condenser fan is working. I have found that problems like that can cause an evaporator to freeze over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE refrigerator with freezer on top, bought in 1998. There is water dripping from the top of the fridge. From reading other messages, I understand that there is probably something clogged/frozen. Is there anything I can do without taking everything out of my refrigerator and/or freezer? Or...

Fridge on too long [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a used house that came with a Maytag fridge. The fridge seems to stay on far too long. I have turned the setting dial to mid-way (5 of 10), but it still stays on far too long compared to other fridges I've had. What could be the reason? What can I do to fix? Thanks!

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

My 10 year old having period problems [ 8 Answers ]

Please help me. My 10 year old started her period this year in September and each month she went from 3 days to 5 days. This month she started December 8th and it is now December 30th and she is still going. I called her Doctor about 5 days ago and they said to keep track of her periods for the...

View more questions Search