Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diy2500 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Warm air furnace: no pilot light, no ignition spark
    I have an International Comfort fan assisted warm air furnace with an issue:

• The unit does not heat - burners and pilot do not light.
    • The flame blower runs when heat is commanded from the thermostat.
    • There seems to be no gas as the pilot.
    • There is no pilot light, and no spark when re-powering the unit, or when the flame bower starts.
    • I am assuming gas pressure is available since other gas appliances are functioning.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Good observation so far. Model# would be helpful, or see if you can find it here. Get a pic.International Comfort furnace - Google Images

Nov 23, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Thanks. I think this is a NTG3/FBF (NOx) model.

I did some more trouble shooting. The pressure sensor had no 24V AC on either side.

There was 24V at the output of the controller so I assumed this was a problem with the axillary limit switch.

Before pulling out the main fan I felt around looking for bad connections or resets on these sensors.

Then I slid out the main fan on its tracks to bell check the switches - they were both "on".

Perplexed, I re-powered the unit and found the 24V AC was now reaching the pressure switch and the unit lit up!

The good news is the unit is working. The bad news is that I don't know why - a loose wire, intermittent, component, or reset I did not see?
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Go here. Google Image Result for http://www.sustainablefacility.com/EUN/2000/04/Files/Images/5494.jpg I'm lookin' too. Look/sound like yours?

Nov 23, 2009, 10:08 PM
    That is the one.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diy2500 View Post
    Before pulling out the main fan I felt around looking for bad connections or resets on these sensors. Then I slid out the main fan on its tracks to bell check the switches - they were both "on".
    Check auxiliary limit switches for evidence of moisture exposure. While not obviously "tripped", internal oxidation may have been causing some resistance. Moving wires, etc. around may have had a "scrubbing" effect, restoring the circuit - for now.

Nov 24, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Thanks. Since at one time the circuit through the two limit switches was broken I think it is reasonable to assume one of these was (is) bad.

I notice that there are some universal parts that are much cheaper:

http://www.pexsupply.com/White-Rodgers-3L05-1-Snap-Disc-Limit-Control-135-to-175-Degrees-F-Range-Open-on-Rise-14759000-p

Do you think these are a legitimate replacement?
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 12:54 PM
    So long as they have the same thermal response value and mount correctly, yes.

Nov 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Thanks very much for your help.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane Furnace won't start no pilot light red light flashes 3 times [ 6 Answers ]

My propane furnace G6RC has no visible flame and the red light either stays on or flashes 3 times in a row and then the furnace shuts off and tries to restart

How do you light the pilot light of a Carrier furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you light the furnace of a Carrier furnace model #58DLA110-12?

Water heater pilot light gets extinguished by main burner ignition. [ 1 Answers ]

Problem: Water heater pilot light gets blown out by main burner when it ignites. Background: About eight or nine days ago I installed a new Rheem LP gas fired water heater. I had to convert (change / install) the main burner jet and pilot light orifice to burn LP gas as well as change the...

Pilot light on propane furnace won't light [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! This is a little long, please bear with me... Two days ago we woke up to a very cold house, and upon investigation found that the pilot light on the furnace had gone out. Searched around, didn't smell much gas - so we tried to re-light it. Well, it lit and stayed lit (and we got the...

Gas furnace intermittent electric ignition won't light pilot [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier gas furance with a pilot that lights by an intermittent electric ignitor. Occasionally, when the thermostat calls for heat, the electric ignition will spark repeatedly but ultimately, the pilot will not light. If I turn the thermostat off and then back on again, the problem...

View more questions Search