Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mantasgrim30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 12:00 PM
    PC fried, trying to boot from rescued HD with USB, not working
    Hi!
    Thanks for having me!

My PC underwent a SUCRI (Stupid User Coffee Related Incident), and the power and board got fried. I opened it up and rescued the HD.
    I am on an old emergency laptop now and put the fried PC HD in an enclosure, attached it via USB and saw that the contents are there (with no desktop files, strangely).
    I changed the laptop BIOS seq to boot from USB, but when it tries to do so, it brings back disk error.
    Is there some sort of formatting I have to do to the now external HD? Take ownership of folders somehow? Change HD master/slaev settings?
    I though I could just boot up the OS and relevant signons (XP) from the ext HD, and rescue my data by copying it to the laptop (also XP) or another ext HD...
    Interestingly, also the old laptop? I lost the admin password, so I'm signed on as a regular restricted user... does THAT impact my efforts too?
    Thoughts?

Thanks much!
    Mantas
    raj2160 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Best to boot from the laptop hard drive especially since you're trying to recover data; and just use the old HD as the external USB drive. If most of your documents are stored under "My Documents" on the old hard drive you'll need admin rights to take ownership. You can use any computer as long as you have admin rights. "Users" do not have rights to view all folders under C: and unless you specifically saved files elsewhere, most of your files will be stored under c:\%userprofile%\my documents which usually is c:\document and settings\<username>\my documents.
    mantasgrim30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by raj2160 View Post
    Best to boot from the laptop hard drive especially since you're trying to recover data; and just use the old HD as the external USB drive. If most of your documents are stored under "My Documents" on the old hard drive you'll need admin rights to take ownership. You can use any computer as long as you have admin rights. "Users" do not have rights to view all folders under C: and unless you specifically saved files elsewhere, most of your files will be stored under c:\%userprofile%\my documents which usually is c:\document and settings\<username>\my documents.
    Hi Raj2160!

First, thanks for taking the time to answer me. I figured it was permissions, but I yield to you folks for experience.

I have a thorny problem still of being on the User login on the laptop; it's been a year since I used the laptop, and I forgot the Admin password. Some threads recommend a complete reinstall of the XP OS, others say there's free ways to reset or recover the Admin password. Any thoughts on something to accomplish this?

Again thanks for your time!
    Mantas
    raj2160 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 10:14 AM
    XP is easy to reset. There are commercial tools available but there is a freeware program as well that essentially mounts the volume in linux and modifies the registry files to reset the password.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

You'll need to be able to burn an ISO from the url above and boot with it. Follow the instructions on the walkthrough page if you are not familiar with the sam files or the utility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB 2.0 External Hard Disk not working well in Windows [ 5 Answers ]

Help, facing a funny problem. I've borrowed a Hitachi USB 2.0 External harddisk (2.5" 160GB) from friend, tested working well in friend's PC without any problem, but when i connect to my PC, some funny problem as below occured. Starting there is no problem, everything ok, the dirve (Usb Ext...

USB port [ 1 Answers ]

USB 1.0, 2.0 n now 3.0... As what I know the USB head consists of 4 wires. Can anyone explain: 1. Wat are the 4 wires and their functions? 2. most importantly, how does these wire transfer data? ( I mean like is it really it transfer in binary voltage pulse form to represent a signal?Im...

NETGEAR wireless usb [ 1 Answers ]

I'm using wg111v2 usb connection to a computer that was connected over a LAN. I'm being asked for a password and I've lost the option to select user accounts on swt on. I know there is a fix for this anyone point me at the right place Cheers

Disc drive stopped working awhile back now windows won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

A few months back, my desktop stopped reading discs. I can't burn discs, either. And now, overnight, I went to use my computer and it all of a sudden restarted and now won't boot. I have looked around and since my computer was given to me, I don't know the administrator's password. The person that...

Re-boot if CD drive not working. [ 1 Answers ]

My 2004 Windows XP Compaq laptop is VERY slow and I want to reinstall the operating system but the disc drive (DVD & CD) won't open without using the pin hole and the computer doesn't load from the DVD/CD drive (doesn't even try) even though the device manager says its okay. I would appreciate any...

View more questions Search