Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hokey Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Bubbling newly installed toilet
    My problem is that I just installed a new toilet and when I flushed it the first time it flushed, but not very well. Now it isn't flushing completely. This morning when taking a shower the toilet bubbled a lot. It appeared to be a bubbling volcano. The water remained clear and didn't look like shower water coming up in the toilet. The water level remained the same not going up or down. I have never had any issues with the toilet before installing this new toilet, but have on occasion noted some gurgling in the kitchen sink drain but no water ever surfaced. (1962 septic system) Can you tell me what might be wrong and what I can do to fix this problem?
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Nov 23, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Did you replace an older toilet in this same location, or was this a stubbed out drain that you are using for the first time? If there was previously a toilet in this location, was it used recently, or did it sit dormant for a long time? Is there any chance that while the toilet flange was exposed, someone pushed a rag down there (as is commonly done to prevent sewer gasses from escaping) and the rag was left down there?

Nov 23, 2009, 11:26 AM

Old toilet was the only toilet and was working. When the toilet was replaced we put a large towel in the hole but I have the towel. We thought it strange there was no sewer smell during the replacement time. There was no chance of anything getting into the hole. We were very careful about that.

Nov 23, 2009, 12:15 PM

OK - I am no expert here, but am wondering if you have a vent line clogged but never noticed it with the old toilet because the wax seal underneath was bad and so the gas you now see in the form of bubbles was previously escaping through the bad wax gasket under the old toilet. Now with a new toilet, the seal is good, and so the only way for the gas to escape is though the toilet, as bubbles. Does this make sense to any of the experts here, or am I way out in left field?

Nov 23, 2009, 01:17 PM

Ok now this is what we have done to this point. We got a snake and put it down the vent stack. I was in the basement and hubby on the roof. I could hear water moving in the cast iron pipe when he manuvered the snake. Are you suppose to hear that or nothing. I couldn't tell if the snake got all the way or not.
    When he pulled the snake up the 1st time he had a little toilet paper on it. So now where do you think the snake got to? We are now going to take off the toilet and snaking that to see what happens. I am open for suggestions HELP! I really can't afford a plumber. My hubby got his hours cut by 25 hours a week so we are living off love and have little to spend on a plumber at this point.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Let me explain about bubbles and gurgles. "Bubbles" and "Gurgles". They both indicate that something is going on in your drainage system.
    A "bubble" indicates a clogged line while a "gurgle" indicates a blocked vent. Let me explain. When you flush the discharge drains down the pipe until it hits a partial clog. Then it rebounds back sending a "bubble" of air ahead of it. When you flush a toilet or drain a bathtub a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somewhere, in this case your toilet. The noise you hear is the air being pulled through the trap by suction, (gurgle).
    Rule of thumb! Bubbles= drainage clog, while Gurgles = a blocked vent or poor venting.
    You indicate a partial blockage. Have hubby snake the lavatory roof vent not the main vent and see if the doesn't solve the problem. Put out enough snake to reach the base and 18 feet more. Good luck, Tom

Nov 23, 2009, 02:12 PM

We have taken the toilet off and hubby has snaked the cast iron pipe and for some reason can't get the snake to go any more than about 5 feet. It doesn't seem to want to make the curve to go out the wall to the septic tank. What is the next step?

Nov 23, 2009, 02:31 PM

Strange it does not go more than about 5 feet. Sure there is not a clog at that point? No drainage pipe should turn that sharply to bind up a snake in my opinion. Can you snake from lav vent the roof as speedball1 suggests?

Nov 23, 2009, 03:07 PM

There is only one roof stack vent on this house. Hubby tried that and got hung up in about the same area. Snake is about 1/2" with a 1 1/2" head, 24' this is a brand new snake. Any other suggestions. It seems like when you put the snake down the pipe it hits a lip or something in the pipe is that possible?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2009, 04:12 PM
    Is this your only toilet? Has anyone checked the septic tank to be sure it doesn't need pumping. Going down the only roof vent won't help since it sounds like your vents are all revented back to one vent in the attic that then exits out the roof. Is this house on a slab? Back to you, Tom

Nov 24, 2009, 09:07 AM

This is the only toilet in the house. We are going to take off the clean out plug in the basement. And see what we can see. Hoping this won't be a huge mess but was told this may be where the problem is. Is there an easy way to get the clean out plug out? We have purchased a plastic plug to replace the one that is in at this time. The one that is in is a big brass looking plug. It is very, very tight and can't be budged with a crescent wrench. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Newly Installed Laundry Sink Doesn't Drain Well [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a laundry sink in my basement using the pre-existing 2 inch drain pipe that was coming out of the cinderblock wall. I also put in a washing machine and stuck the drain pipe into the sink. The problem is the laundry sink drains very slowly. I'm assuming the builder connected the...

No Trap seal under newly installed basement shower [ 4 Answers ]

I have a fairly new (3yrs) shower that was put in by an inexperienced "contractor" who apparently did not install a " trap seal" as part of the drainage system, so that we can hear and smell all sewage from the home flowing under this shower(we need to keep the drain covered). What would be...

Newly installed grout has moisture [ 1 Answers ]

I tiled my bathroom and grouted it around Christmas time. I have used the shower already and have no problems. I have noticed that the Grout has been breaking off in some sections of the floor and I have noticed some small water coming out from the grout as I step onto some of the tiles. (Did...

Low Hot Water Pressure Only on Newly Installed Faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a new bathroom faucet installed about a week ago. Today when I turned on the hot water side, I had full pressure, then pressure went low and has stayed that way. The cold side is fine. Did something break or could it be installed wrong? Thanks.

View more questions Search