Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pecanguy2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Iso file
    I am not well educated on computers----so I need help----I am trying to install windows 7 on my PC that has windows xp pro. The win7 disc has only an iso file as the upgrade. Can someone tell me how to use this iso to install win7 on my PC? Thanks a lot...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Excuse me, but where did you get this disk? A legal copy of Win 7 does not come on a disk as just an iso file.

You also can't do an upgrade from XP to Win 7. You have to do a clean install, which means wiping out your hard drive and starting from scratch. So that means you need a legal copy of Win 7 which you can boot from.
    pecanguy2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 02:31 PM
    The disc was given to me as a gift. Guess I should just not try to use it. Thank you for the information. Bob

Nov 23, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pecanguy2000 View Post
    the disc was given to me as a gift. guess I should just not try to use it. Thank you for the information. Bob
    I have several copies of disks with the Win 7 Release Candidate, trial versions and full versions. None of them came as an ISO file. The only time I had to deal with an ISO was when I downloaded versions that I was given by Microsoft for participating in the Technical Beta. So, even if the donor got them that way, they are not allowed to distribute that copy.

So the likelihood is that this is a bootleg copy he got somewhere. Don't you love people who give gifts that they illegally obtained or are violating the law by giving it to you?

Without knowing where this copy came from, I would not chance using it. At the very least its an illegal copy, at worst, its got a virus in it.

On the flip side, Win 7 is very good and it works well with older hardware. I put it on an 8 yr old laptop with only 1G of RAM and it runs sweet.
    vengefulcactaur Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2009, 06:23 PM
    {personal insults removed}

You can install windows 7 with an iso.. you need a software like power iso. Then you copy the iso file onto your HDD then use power iso to create an immage on to a DVD disk (you have to use a dvd NOT cd because the file is like 10 GB and is to big)
    After you have the compleate disk you just put it into your computter them install.. DO NOT UPGRADE.. you must do a "clean install" don't worry you won't lose any info.. (you just have to reinstall all of your software but you will still have pics music etc.) they will be located in a file either on your desktop or at the root of c: called "windows.old" after you install you will have to put a key to activate the software... keep in mind that unless it is a cracked (hacked, illegal file) you WILL need the key...
    Now.
    Keep in mind that if your computer does not have a SLIC or OEM compatible BIOS you will not be able to activate it... even if it is legal.
    Also if you don't have enough RAM it will run very slow also you will need also need a graphics card that have dx9, more than 260 MBS of graphics RAM (you can find out if it has this by going start>run>then typing in dxdiag this will show you the stats on you graphics card) if you want the aero effects(the clear windows and all of the pretty "eye candy" )
    But yes it is possible to have windows 7 on a former windows XP
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2009, 07:00 PM
    His concern was that it was a pirated copy; if that is the case and it seems to be, then we don't offer support for that.

Dec 3, 2009, 06:07 AM

First I will call your attention to the rules of this site which prohibit personal attacks.

Second, you would be better served by reading what I actually said rather then what you think I said. That can often prevent you from looking foolish.

I never said you couldn't install Win 7 from an ISO. I said that legal Win 7 disks wouldn't come as an ISO. Nor did I ever say you couldn't install Win 7 on an XP machine. In fact, I have done so. I installed Win 7 on an old Thinkpad with a single core processor and 1G of Ram. And it runs sweet.

Oh and Windows.old is only created if you do a Custom Install. I would still want to back up my data first. And, as you point it you will need to reinstall all your programs.

When you have finished wiping the egg off your face, I will accept your apology.

Dec 5, 2009, 02:32 AM
    You make me laugh. Thanks..
    My gracious apologies.
    I was not intending to PERSONALLY offend you.. (im just a smart )
    And yes you are correct .
    Thanks for the clarity.

Oh by the way.. .
    How the hell did you know that I'm eating eggs? And thanks for reminding me to wipe of the busted yoke off.

Dec 5, 2009, 02:33 AM

That was suppose to say * smart donkey..
    I guess since they edit out the DIRTY WORDS...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'NDSTray.exe' file in MSConfig - Startup file [ 1 Answers ]

In the MSConfig system configuration utility tray, at the startup tab, what is the NDSTray.exe file checked for?

Forgot to file the Form 8843 for 2007. Can I still file it? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I think I need to clarify the question about this. I was in the US from July 2006 to July 2007 with F-1 student visa. I again came back to the U.S. in August 2008 with J-1 trainee visa. I started to prepare for the tax return document (but actually I only need to pay the income...

Wait and file first year choice or go ahead file as a non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Dear TAx Expert, I was on F1/OPT until July 30th and changed to H-1B on August 25th. I earned less than 4,500.00 during my OPT and had a total income of 16000 on H-1B. Should I file an extension and make First Year Choice after I pass the SPT or just go ahead to file the tax return as a...

H4 Visa: 2007 Tax Filing Status - To file or Not to File [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H4 from 2006. Filed tax for 2006 using ITN with my spouse(H1) as Joint Return. My spouse wants to do Married filing Separately FOR 2007. My question is for 2007, 1) Do I need to file a separate return in spite of lack of income(H4) ? 2) Or do I just leave it as such and not file at...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

View more questions Search