Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnwantedHero Posts: 99, Reputation: 8

Nov 23, 2009, 03:41 AM
    No longer wants to feel needy or stressed
    Hi all

Been quite a while since I've posted on here,things have been going well till recently anyway been single for about 3 years,had a very terrible breakup and stayed away from relationships for a while,about 2 weeks ago I started dating this girl,she's great and we have a lot in common.anyway a few months ago I decided that I'm ready to start dating again if I met the right girl,which took 3 months but I did,well now I feel I may be falling for her to fast and these feelings I used to suffer from in my past relationship are coming back,just when I thought I dealt with them,the thing is I used to be a bit needy and lacking in trust towards my then girlfriend.She kept pushing me away and because of that I kept wanting to be closer to her,she also used to party a lot and she was known to cheat a bit on bfs so in the end I was completely depressed.I wanted her to want me so badly but it never came,but it took effort but I broke from her spell.thats when I decided to stay far away from relationships for a while,trouble is I think I put my armour on and had it on too tight,now I feel that these feelings of needyness may be coming back, feelings of wanting to be with her 24/4 and feelings of possible distrust.I thought I had dealt with these feelings once I got over my ex but maybe she left alasting impression on me,I don't want to feel this way with my new girl who I know will never cheat or leave me for another guy.im in need of opinions.should I Talk to her about it,is she maybe the key to breaking this problem?Am I just always going to feel insurecure with relationsips or am I better off avoiding them all together?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 03:54 AM

Start slowly... if you have to do relationship boot camp with yourself... stay active in your own life.. dont depend on her to make you happy... dont send a lot of emails/texts/phone calls on a day or for that matter a week.. make a date plan and leave it at that... I guess its no harm to explain that you had a bad breakup in the past BUT DO NOT put any pressure on this girl to fix you...

Build up the friendship and work from there,anytime you feel yourself becoming needy back off.. if you know the signs act on them.
    pfanatic Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Nov 23, 2009, 05:04 AM

Trust in yourself first. Trust your instincts too, but think rational and don't feed your fears. Don't rush into anything and don't dwell on the past. Learn from it to form a better future for yourself.
    Put yourself first, because how much you invest in yourself, at least that much you'll be able to give to someone. And you won't be afraid of how much will be taken back because you'll always have someone to give you all you need-yourself.
    Starry nights Posts: 213, Reputation: 104

Nov 23, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwantedHero View Post
    hi all

been quite a while since ive posted on here,things have been going well till recently anyway been single for bout 3 years,had a very terrible breakup and stayed away from relationships for a while,bout 2 weeks ago i started dating this girl,shes great and we have a lot in common.anyway a few months ago i decided that im ready to start dating again if i met the right girl,which took 3 months but i did,well now i feel i may be falling for her to fast and these feelings i used to suffer from in my past relationship are coming back,just when i thought i dealt with them,the thing is i used to be a bit needy and lacking in trust towards my then gf.She kept pushing me away and because of that i kept wanting to be closer to her,she also used to party a lot and she was known to cheat a bit on bfs so in the end i was completly depressed.I wanted her to want me so badly but it never came,but it took effort but i broke from her spell.thats when i decided to stay far away from relationships for a while,trouble is i think i put my armour on and had it on too tight,now i feel that these feelings of needyness may be comming back, feelings of wanting to be with her 24/4 and feelings of possible distrust.I thought I had dealt with these feelings once i got over my ex but maybe she left alasting impression on me,i dont wanna feel this way with my new girl who i know will never cheat or leave me for another guy.im in need of opinions.should i Talk to her about it,is she maybe the key to breaking this problem?Am i just always gunna feel insurecure with relationsips or am i better off avoiding them all together?
    is she maybe the key to breaking this problem?

No,she is not the key to your problems.Nobody but yourself can be the key to your own problems.

Do this : Tell yourself,with this new girl,you will be testing yourself and all your shortcomings.You will be rewarding yourself with dessert treats/whatever it is you really like to eat,each time you take it slow.Slow means really slow.As in,not calling or texting too much initially,just having fun,laughing a lot,watching movies,finding out about each other.And each time you feel like you'll die if you don't cling on to her or call her or text her,that's when the real acid test will be.

If you can overcome such phases by NOT GIVING IN,that's when you have passed the test ,which will make you prouder of yourself and that's when you can have the treat!

Gradually you will find you are becoming stronger in this and will have minimun lapses till one fine day you will realise,you have graduated with honors!

All the best.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Pay attention to yourself, as your feelings are warning you that your getting in too deep, too fast, and need to pay closer attention to other things in your life, that you enjoy, and make you happy.

You have come too far to go back to old behavior that does you no good, and repeating past mistakes is no way to be happy.

Work on yourself, so you can have fun getting to know the new girl without the baggage of the past getting in the way.

No, she is not the answer to your problems, you are. Its way to soon to make her the center of your life, so back up a bit, and don't get carried away by your own feelings.

Nov 24, 2009, 08:37 AM

Ahh thanks guys,today I had a talk with her,explaining my feelings and how my past relationships have been quite ugly,I told her I need time to adjust and that I'm nervous about entering a new relationship and she says she understands and will lay off and give me that time.I hope I've made an good decision with talking to her.Im also uncomfortable with knowing her past relationship/sexual exploits,is it normal to have these feelings?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Its very normal, but its what you do about those feelings that count. You have no control over what happened in her past, so don't let it worry you. Many of us trip over actions that our engaged in before we got with them. While it can't be ignored, it can be handled in a positive way. Or else, why even be with them if you can't accept them for who they are and what makes them what they are today?

Most times we have to separate the reality, from the fantasies we build around others.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 08:57 AM
    The first step to fixing neediness is awareness, which you seem to have. That means you already have a good start. Then you have to realize that YOU have the choice to act on it or not. When you're feeling needy remind yourseld that desperation is a huge turn-off for your lady.

Being needy in a relationship isn't about wanting to talk to someone numerous times a day; it is about needing constant reassurance that your partner loves you or that you are attractive to her. Women really love to see self-confidence, so practice acting self-confident even if you aren't and you may see your own attitude change.

Be sure to have a life outside your relationship. Don't neglect your hobbies and things doing which made you happy throughout your life before you were in the relationship.

If all else fails, you may want to talk to a counselor.

Nov 28, 2009, 06:34 AM

I think I'm just starting to shake these feelings and perhaps trust her more,although I do believe I have a long road to go before I'm 100% comfortable in the relationship.I guess only time will tell.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 06:53 AM

That sounds good- take it nice and slow and you'll be fine.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

God I am so needy [ 3 Answers ]

All right. I know it- I am a needy girl. I know this and am trying hard to change it, but when I take a step in the right direction I feel like I'm about to explode. I know I'm needy in my relationship, and don't want this to hurt it. I almost sound crazy sometimes I think. If my boyfriend...

I feel that my husband is no longer attracted to me [ 8 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for four years. I am 20 and he is 34. I have tried everything that I used to do to him to get him to have sex with me. But, know he has started a new job, he is dealing with the ex-wife about the two boys he had with her. So he is consantly thinking of all those...

Stressed and how to feel less stupid [ 1 Answers ]

I'm feeling pretty stressed because everything is going wrong in my research at the moment. I can't get a simple and routine process to work :( (cloning if anyone is interested.) I feel like I can't do simple tasks and I'm worried everybody is laughing about how stupid I am behind my back. I...

Box on incline. If you push it up, will it take longer to go up or longer down [ 5 Answers ]

If a box is given a shove so it slides up an incline then slides back down to its starting point, will it take longer on the way up or on the way down? I think it's down.

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

View more questions Search