Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2009, 07:57 AM

My point is, that it is not the hometown that makes it a hometown. It is who is in your heart and in your life that is important.
    Forgetting 100 percent never said that, but leaving it behind. Yes, it is possible. Learning and growing from that experience is good. Yes, leaving the people behind is best. Sarah is in a new place, with better prospectives and the most important part is with her. Her daughter. That is all that truly matters.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Mud, I'm from a small town in Ontario as well, and I know exactly what you're talking about. It's almost like there are two groups of people, those that stay, and those that go. There isn't much for those who choose to stay, but, getting out is like getting out of jail. It is hard to imagine going back.

When you do go back, people haven't changed. At least that's what I found. Still the same old same old, only people have gotten older.

You have many poor memories, understandably so, and I have to ask you why you subject yourself to doing something you don't want to do, knowing what it will be like, and how uncomfortable you will be. You have to ask yourself, why would you go back, and, what would you rather do with your holiday.

I went back a few years ago to visit the parents of a very good friend of mine that had died, to pay my respects. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Everything looked OK on the outside, but I knew it was like movie props, and just behind them, was a life of welfare, abuse, and people going nowhere.

You are not wrong to break that cycle. People grow apart, and you have little in common with them. I am in touch with a few people, but they too left the town years ago and never went back.

Do what feels right, even if you go one last time, with the intent of never returning. Maybe time to turn the page.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Nov 28, 2009, 06:42 PM

It seems to me that one of the main reasons you want to go back is to prove these people wrong. You have nothing to prove to them. They don't deserve it. They have this power over you because they hurt you. You need to give yourself time to get over that hurt and seek help to do so if need be. Don't value their opinions value your own. They are small-minded and toxic and no matter what you do you won't change their rigid viewpoints, not because of a lack in you but because of a lack in them.
    FlyingViper Posts: 10, Reputation: 8

Nov 28, 2009, 07:06 PM

I agree with QLP. Mudweiser already proved she's wiser by moving away from them. She already has proven she's better (because she's moved out -- while they are confined to petty behaviours like the ones mentioned). Forgetting her hometown in the sense that she doesn't let the experience get her down? Certainly possible!
    But trying to forget those experiences, and that place? Silly! You can definitely move on from them; which mudweiser already has done.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 12:18 AM

Thanks QLP for that awesome advice!

Thanks everyone for helping me with this!

Love
    Sarah!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting healthy after 50 [ 1 Answers ]

I am 55 yrs old, need to lose close to 100 lbs. No strength, no motivation. Where do I start to try to get myself back?

Is it wrong that I can't get past my past? [ 2 Answers ]

I know that the past is the past and that is all it will ever be, but when the past is very hurtful to you, you can't just forget what people have done to you. Let me explain a little bit of what I am still having a hard time getting past... My whole life has been a very difficult time....

PA position-Need excuse for leaving job- Job started in June 08-leaving for Europe in [ 2 Answers ]

Leave my job as PA probably returning to job after I come back from my trip to Greece. After graduation I was looking for a job. After two months my best friend she found for me a job as a Personal Assistant. My boss ( an writer who works at home) during the interview told me that he was...

Is this healthy? [ 3 Answers ]

To begin - I started my freshman year of college last August and told myself over and over the 'freshman 15' was not going to be a problem for me. Was I ever wrong. Since August I have gained 20 pounds, weighing about 170 right now I would say. I am a 5'7" female, and I want to get down to like...

View more questions Search