Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sfrancesca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 03:37 PM
    Daschund puppy - found motionless in yard - possibly a seizure episode
    Hello --

Yesterday evening I found one of my 10 week old puppies (we have 2) in the back yard laying motionless. Her eyes were open but not moving. She didn't respond to my voice nor touch. I could barely make out a soft whimpering when I got up close.

I got a blanket, put her on it, brought her inside and watched her for a few min. carefully. I noticed she had defecated after I moved her. And there was something frothy that I think came from her mouth... it may have been from her nose. I was so upset, it's hard to remember which it was.

I rushed her to a pet emergency hospital. It took me 15 - 20 minutes to get there. On the way over, she was a bit more alert.. moving around a little. And by the time we had arrived, she was asking to be picked up and definitely "snapping out" of whatever she had experienced.

The vet took her in immediately. Within 30 min, she was alert. Scared and crying, but alert and moving "like a healthy puppy," as the vet said.

The vet checked to see if she had been bitten or stung by something. There were no signs. The vet's guess was she had a seizure of some sort.

I took her home and watched her carefully. She slept for about 30 min deeply... deeper than normally. And then was happy to play with her brother. Today she seems like her normal self.

My question is: what can I do to help her, today, on a daily basis and if this ever happens again?

Thank you,

Sarah
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 04:17 PM
    These things happen, and they are very scary. With a 10 week old, likely you will be into your regular vet soon. Take the records from the emergency clinic and talk it over. Your vet may give you some medicine.

She may never have another. I have had 2 of my 17 puppies have a seizure when they were older than 10 weeks. Both graduated as dog guides. The one worked until she just fell apart at 13. The other one is 11 now, and may still be working. Her partner has not chosen to stay in contact. Nobody would risk keeping a dog guide that had seizures.
    sfrancesca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Many thanks for the info. labman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help! Aggressive Daschund Puppy... but only with me! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have an 11 week year old Alpha Female Daschund. She is such a cutey and I love her a lot. But when I tell her no bite, or I try and discipline her, she growls at me and attacks me. That is the only time she does though and all of the other times she is snugly and loving. She does not do...

Scared Daschund Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning. I have a beautiful 6 month old daschund puppy called Peanut! Recently she has been acting very weird. She is scared of loud noises and runs away... for instance, when I wash the dishes and they clank against each other it scares her... or when I open a drawer she runs away etc etc....

Daschund Puppy [ 11 Answers ]

Well I have a Male Daschund Puppy, he is 3 months, named Chopper! His a cuttie! I love him so much, I gut him 2 1/2 weeks ago! I have been taking him outside to putty every single time, and he is doing great! Can you tell me how much puppy food should I feed him? I usually feed him 3 times a Day is...

Found a very young puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We just found a male puppy approximately 3 to 5 weeks old. He has fleas REALLY bad. What should we do about that? I just read on another site to feed him whole milk mixed with an egg. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Possibly infertile but possibly pregnant! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi the thing is I have been told that I might not be able to have children! But now I have had unprtected sex for 2 months now I isn't missed ma period yet but my boobs really hurt that much I can't take my bra off plus they are darker round my nipple and I keep getting light twinges of cramp...

View more questions Search