Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Nov 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
    How to Spend Thanksgiving Alone?
    Dear everyone,

Due to business (professional) related facts, I will be staying alone this Thanksgiving. I am a positive and happy person, changing locations due to job has never been an issue for me. I see those are opportunities for me to grow on a personal level.

I am able to and have done celebrating birthday, holidays alone but Thanksgiving is different and it means a lot to me, doing it alone is quite challenge. :) I have contactd a few friends but they will be out of town (most of them are married).

I strive to be professional at work, so I don't plan on bringing up this type of personal question to any of the colleagues, but I have been thinking lately how I will spend this "Thanksgiving"?

Any idea will be appreciated! I like creative ideas, come on people!

:)

P.S. To all of you, enjoy your holiday with your family.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 01:01 PM

Help out at a homeless shelter?

Go out thankgiving day,armed with food and hot drinks for the homeless?

Book into a hotel?
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Nov 22, 2009, 01:09 PM

Red, thanks for your advice.

I am not familiar with the area, so I don't know whether it is the best idea to going to a foreign homeless shelter as language and nationality can/may cause issues.

( I would totally agree with you if I am in my home country, no doubt).

Booking into a hotel? Please explain
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Lots of hotels have offers on over the holiday period... even for christmas.. they arrange gatherings in the hotel,food and a general thankgiving /christmas feel.

I know lots of people who have done this for years and love it.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 06:01 PM

Is there a group, maybe even a church, in your area with a large population of people from wherever your home country is? Maybe you could Google your area some :)

I know you said you don't plan to bring it up at work, but I don't think I would consider mentioning it unprofessional. Maybe that's because I work in a grocery store and it's hard not to talk about your plans while you're stocking turkeys and gravy onto the shelves. :) but you never know who else is planning to spend the holiday alone. And if there is someone else, they may not be as optimistic as you are about it.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Nov 22, 2009, 06:05 PM

I spent a thanksgiving alone,not just alone dirt poor I mean broke,I ate peanut butter jelly on tortillas didn't have any bread I sat and broke out a pen and paper and started drawing and drew a picture of a family at a table having their meal don't do that it sucked
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 06:06 PM

You can always set up a camera and microphone for your computer and skype (free webcalling with video) your loved ones while eating your favorite dish. And then watch a happy movie! :)
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    is there a group, maybe even a church, in your area with a large population of people from wherever your home country is? maybe you could google your area some :)

i know you said you don't plan to bring it up at work, but i don't think i would consider mentioning it unprofessional. maybe that's because i work in a grocery store and it's hard not to talk about your plans while you're stocking turkeys and gravy onto the shelves. :) but you never know who else is planning to spend the holiday alone. and if there is someone else, they may not be as optimistic as you are about it.
    Or you could end up going out for a drink or something with them as friends who would both be alone otherwise.

Zippit: PB&J on a tortilla sounds really gross!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Hi, CFZD!

If you do a bit of research, some shopping malls, and has already been mentioned about churches, might be offering thanksgiving meals to people.

Here's another idea - How about inviting some neighbors or others to your home for a simple Thanksgiving meal of some kind?

Thanks!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Since you can't see them face to face, why don't you call up the people that you really care about and tell them how thankful you are that they are part of your life.

Since you're in a fortunate position, why don't you find a way to give back to the community be volunteering for part of the weekend?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thanksgiving with ex [ 2 Answers ]

Well my ex (and her family) want me over for thanksgiving. I still want her back really bad, what do you think I should do?

Thanksgiving [ 1 Answers ]

I just wanted to know how everyone's Thanksgiving was? I see there are a few members on line so a light discussion to have. :D I ate too much, no surprise. I mainly ate a lot of side dishes, not much of a turkey or ham eater--so I ate the casseroles and dips. I tried a new receipe, corn...

Should I go to Thanksgiving with her ? [ 11 Answers ]

My wife and I are separated and Thanksgiving is creating drama. My wife asked me several times over the last month to go with her to Thanksgiving with her family. Now the day before she's getting all emotional and feeling down. I don't know whether I should go because it's creating all kinds of...

Thanksgiving [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been going out for a little more than 2 years. He's jewish and I come from a catholic family.. what does this have to do with thanksgiving? Well, he's been to my family parties for christmas for the past two years, and I've been to his house for hanukkah for the past two...

Thanksgiving [ 7 Answers ]

I don't know how to start a pol, but the pol answers are: 1. yes 2. no 3 not sure Now for the question. Do you think Thanksgiving has lost it's initial meaning? Post what you think you have to be thankful for. I just got through with reading the post on Christmas lights and colors in...

View more questions Search